Getting started with an FV432

andym

Sorry guys, yet another FV432 newbie! :shocked:

It won't arrive until next week and I've got assorted manuals on order, but in the meantime does anyone have a POL list? There's a thread on here that suggests one can be found on fv432.co.uk, but I can't see it.

I'm also on the lookout for tracks and road wheels if anyone has any decent ones lurking around ....

Sorry guys, yet another FV432 newbie! :shocked:

It won't arrive until next week and I've got assorted manuals on order, but in the meantime does anyone have a POL list? There's a thread on here that suggests one can be found on fv432.co.uk, but I can't see it.

I'm also on the lookout for tracks and road wheels if anyone has any decent ones lurking around ....

A straight SAE30 (Comma Classic is ok) for the engine, gearbox, road wheels, governer and steering box.

EP90 for the final drives.

Hydraulic Oil for the cooling fans.

Goog luck with the road wheels. I sold 24 brand new ones with my FV432.

Markheliops

Hi Andy

Same as you, got mine a month ago and the packs out for a spring clean and paint

Theres nothing quite like making it 'yours'

I have the complete Military manual approx 200 pages if you want to come over and copy it sometime feel free

Ime in Leamington Spa CV31 , its a heavy old lump to post but the offers there

Paul

Hi Andy

Same as you, got mine a month ago and the packs out for a spring clean and paint

Theres nothing quite like making it 'yours'

I have the complete Military manual approx 200 pages if you want to come over and copy it sometime feel free

Ime in Leamington Spa CV31 , its a heavy old lump to post but the offers there

Paul

Thanks Paul - you're further ahead than me as I'm still waiting for it to be delivered!

I've already got the User Handbook and the Unit Repairs and Inspection Schedules are on their way. Lots of things to read through ....

I'll now answer my own question in case it's of interest to others. There's a POL list in the Servicing Schedule (Army Code No. 14653, Revised 1971) and it says:

Engine Lubrication System: OMD 75

Engine Oil Filters: OMD 75

Gearbox (Modified): OMD 75

Final Drives: OEP 220

Engine Governor: OM 15

Hydraulic Fan Drive: OMD 75

Road and Idler Wheel Hubs: OMD 75

Steering Unit: OMD 75

The interesting thing here is that the governor should be running on hydraulic fluid rather than engine oil ...

Andy

and dont ever leave home without the engine governor oil topped up...or disaster may occur...

Yes, I've been warned about that! Which reminds me, I must try the left-hand pedal to see what actually happens when you press it ....

Hi All,

I suppose I will stick my neck out, I made this guide for the 432 website, just haven't got around to uploading it!

I've had quite a few enquiries about which oils to use, so here goes!

Fv432 Lubrication Guide

The MOD lists OMD 75 (previously OMD 110) for the following..........

Rolls Royce K60

Allison Semi auto Gearbox

Steering Box

Wheel Hubs

OMD 15 is listed for the Governor Housing

OEP 220 for Final Drives

And a hydraulic oil for the Cooling Fans

OMD 75/110 (Oil Mineral Detergent) equates to SAE 30, I was advised against using a multi-grade oil such as 5/30W as these can break down to the thinner grade under hot conditions, hence sticking to straight 30W. It was also suggested that an SAE40 can be used if a vehicle is working hard, as the high temperatures in the engine bay, can still make the SAE30 go thin. This includes the hydraulic fan system.

OEP 220 (Oil Extreme Pressure) equates to EP90, it is needed as the oil is required to stick to the “teeth” and resist being “squeezed” out from between the “teeth” when coming in “contact”.

OMD 15 (Oil Mineral Detergent) it was suggested a “Red” Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was best suited for the Governor housing. We all know the importance of keeping this topped up. If allowed to run dry, the rack in the FIP can stick over to full throttle, regardless of the accelerator pedal position, resulting in loss of control of the vehicle! Keep checking it as just because there are no signs of an external leak, it doesn’t mean it hasn’t leaked back internally into the Fuel Injection Pump (FIP)

The small print,

This is based on info from various sources over the years, and is only a guide and I or the 432.co.uk website hold no reponsibilty for any damage or loss from this guide.

I hope this helps

Dougy

good luck with the fv432 if you need any help p.m me and i will see if i can help .

At moment we have 21 at work at least 10(the ones we use for customers) of these have been working happily on 15/40w oil for about 5 yrs now .

also use A.T.F in the governer pump which fingers crossed has been fine for this amount of time . if yoor govener is leaking it is worth checking the front plate on govenor which is common or the kick down/gear change piston which is located by side of gear box filler,

i've had a few do this just peel back the rubber gaiter if its full of oil its leaking "simples"

sharky

good luck with the fv432 if you need any help p.m me and i will see if i can help .

At moment we have 21 at work at least 10(the ones we use for customers) of these have been working happily on 15/40w oil for about 5 yrs now .

also use A.T.F in the governer pump which fingers crossed has been fine for this amount of time . if yoor govener is leaking it is worth checking the front plate on govenor which is common or the kick down/gear change piston which is located by side of gear box filler,

i've had a few do this just peel back the rubber gaiter if its full of oil its leaking "simples"

sharky

Your a good man Sharky...cheers

• 1 year later...

Engine oil filter:

Element Assembly 6438106

NSN: 2940-99-881-5919

Engine air filter:

Filter element, air intake

NSN: 2940-99-881-8107

Engine Fuel filter:

Filter Element Fluid Pressure

NSN: 2940-99-881-6588

Gearbox filter:

Element Assembly

NSN: 2990-99-866-2354

Note that you'll also need some O-rings; the gearbox filter comes with them, the engine filters don't.

Andy