Airborne Trolley A Real Barn Find

garys39

Not sure if this really is the proper catagory for this, but it has wheels and it's British.

I was asked to do a display of militaria at a local fete last weekend, it clashed with the armour & embarkation event, which I had thought about going to with my Matchless for a bit of DR work, but the fete organiser had asked first and so I was committed to the fete.

During the afternoon, an elderly gentleman approached me and asked if I would like an "old army folding wheelbarrow", an exchange of phone numbers took place and this evening a visit was paid to a farm near Thame to pick up the folding wheelbarrow.

Stood in the corner of this chaps barn (next to old farm machinery and tractors) was a Airborne Folding Trolley !

As the photos show, it's in poor condition, but now it will be treated to a bit of a clean up, TLC and preserved.

The chap remembers his father bringing the trolley home, he thinks about 1946/47, but not where it came from.

Regards Gary

troll1.jpg

troll.jpg

troll2.jpg

Guest jcpdw

great find gary, there are not many left so tread it with care. I know of only 3 of them here in holland and I have 1 of them it was used at the battle of arnhem it was found in village of oosterbeek. are you only cleaning it up and leaf it like this or are you thinking of replaceing the canvas. the wheels stil look good. very nice find thanks for showing it.

cheers jaap

great find gary, there are not many left so tread it with care. I know of only 3 of them here in holland and I have 1 of them it was used at the battle of arnhem it was found in village of oosterbeek. are you only cleaning it up and leaf it like this or are you thinking of replaceing the canvas. the wheels stil look good. very nice find thanks for showing it.

cheers jaap

I think for now, I will only clean off the dust and straw, I feel for the time being it's best left as it is, I think also I will free off the clamp nuts, so that it can be stored easier.

Here's one more shot of the underside.

Regards Gary

troll3.jpg

I'd suggest a good wash, rub off the worst rust and cover in rust killer /preserver.You can always re paint at a later date, you'll never get 65 years of patina back. Canavs, wash in Nikwax tech wash, much kinder than detergent, then treat with Nikwax Cotton proof. That will stop mildew , waterproof and moth treat.

I'd suggest a good wash, rub off the worst rust and cover in rust killer /preserver.You can always re paint at a later date, you'll never get 65 years of patina back. Canavs, wash in Nikwax tech wash, much kinder than detergent, then treat with Nikwax Cotton proof. That will stop mildew , waterproof and moth treat.

Hi Tony, it's not very clear in the photos, but the canvas at the front of the trolley is in a bad way, due to being stood in the upright postion on a damp barn floor over the years, the rest is pretty stable so I will check out your recomendation of the Nikwax treatment.

I guess that there is about 30% of the original paint finish, so after freeing off the clamp nuts, I will probaly remove as much rust as possible and treat with wax or possibly the rust inhibitor that drys clear.

Regards

Gary

My rust killer of choice is a stuff called Vactan. Water base, easy and economic to use. Doesent mark any paintwork left.

If you want to leave the holes 'Authentic' either hem round the tare or that joy of joys Wonder web, iron it on the back of the edges.

Edited by Tony B

Guest jcpdw
I think for now, I will only clean off the dust and straw, I feel for the time being it's best left as it is, I think also I will free off the clamp nuts, so that it can be stored easier.

Here's one more shot of the underside.

Regards Gary

he gary

here is a picture of my trolley, the second one is with the bracket they attached them with a chute under the airplane hull. I found this bracked in the village of driel near oosterbeek.

cheers jaap

• 1 month later...