Ferret starter motor intermittent

keefer1236

Hi All...I have a prob with my starter motor...ever other start or so there is loud vibrating noise coming from starter motor area and engine will not turn over....after a few trys it starts...full speed cranks over...engine starts almost instant....only started doing this this last w/e...at the Weymouth Vets parade...most awkward.....but started ok eventually....any ideas?...i have a spare starter motor.been sitting around for a few years...looks like new inside..no brush/commutator wear...what needs doing to it to maintain it ...i.e lubrication before fitting....any help most appreciated...Keith

MK2/3 03CC29

Hi All...I have a prob with my starter motor...ever other start or so there is loud vibrating noise coming from starter motor area and engine will not turn over....after a few trys it starts...full speed cranks over...engine starts almost instant....only started doing this this last w/e...at the Weymouth Vets parade...most awkward.....but started ok eventually....any ideas?...i have a spare starter motor.been sitting around for a few years...looks like new inside..no brush/commutator wear...what needs doing to it to maintain it ...i.e lubrication before fitting....any help most appreciated...Keith

MK2/3 03CC29

Might be wear on the flywheel teeth. Have you done the obvious, check bolts and electrical contacts?

MK2/3 03CC29

A reduced battery charge on one battery or two might also do something similar. I had a dead or dying battery and it did something similar and I thought oh no not something else

If its a worn flywheel gear teeth its a gearbox move or engine out jobby to get at the fluid flywheel. Have you tried the MK 1 broom handle on it when it starts playing up?

The teeth thing is easy to check move the little cover out of the way on the gearbox and have an assistant turn the engine over while you check the teeth.

Thanks to you and Tony B for the info....i'm off to Maiden Newton at war w/e so wont be able to check till next w/e......hope its not the Batteries...as i have installed two brand new huge Varta batts....i hope its not the ring gear....here's hoping its just a sticking starter motor...neat tip for checking the ring gear..i'll do just that..cheers Keith

The first check should always be the batteries. They are the easyiest things to check before you even get any spanners out. Altough they may be new you may have left the intercom on and they have dropped some voltage.

Beg borrow or steal a proper battery tester. I have acess to one that tests the battery under load. Very useful..

Beg borrow or steal a proper battery tester. I have acess to one that tests the battery under load. Very useful..

I've got this, it's not bad. It's a load tester, not much of a load but it has been useful in the past. for £23 is pretty cheap.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cvt1-battery-tester

The first check should always be the batteries. They are the easyiest things to check before you even get any spanners out. Altough they may be new you may have left the intercom on and they have dropped some voltage.

Cheers Barry...i will check the batteries...Wont be the intercom or the interior lights left on as i have incorporated a battery isolator switch in one of the battery boxes.May be the Ferret isnt charging as i have had all the wiring out for a major restoration inside...i'll check to see if i'am getting the correct voltage input when the motor is revving and the alternator is putting out a good charge...cheers ...Keith

Ferret MK2/3 0C 33 29

Just a quick note bout the two batteries you recently purchased.

I figured with my Ferret I would invest in two really good batteries, so I bought two Optima's (sealed spiral cell battery) and guess what, two weeks after installing, turns out I had a bad battery. A bit of a disappointment, but no problems in the last year with the replacements.

Just a quick note bout the two batteries you recently purchased.

I figured with my Ferret I would invest in two really good batteries, so I bought two Optima's (sealed spiral cell battery) and guess what, two weeks after installing, turns out I had a bad battery. A bit of a disappointment, but no problems in the last year with the replacements.

Good point...just because my batts are new doesnt mean they havnt gone faulty...will check them individually...hmmm now where did i put that warranty card!!

thanks for your input...Keith.

Feret MK2/3 03 CC 29