Anybody know an author called.........

Jack

Charles Whiting also wrote a good book about Arnhem which I think appeared around the same time as the better known and much more pro-American histriography A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. One of his best books was about the German Paras which is well worth finding - I still have my late Dad's in my library somewhere. His older books aren't in print at the moment. Whiting is a Yorkshireman based in Germany and one website with a biog of him records he has written 327 books. Which puts my dozen or so articles for CMV well in the shade!!

Not sure mate, what time do you want me :?

Bringing Pop, so not to sure what time he will be here....make sure everyone looks after him :mrgreen: 8-)

And I have something here for you that I brought back from the US :wink:

Yes Jack, I've read a number of his books,but it has been said that quite a lot of his stuff is somewhat inaccurate.

I must say with dissapointment that you are right :oops: he states that the Rangers where the only volunteer force in the US Army and that they captured the guns at Point Du Hoc - there weren't any guns and that even the Airborne couldn't take Point Du Hoc - they didn't even try!

But a lot of facts and figures have change since the war.

Inaccurate is being polite. I bought two of his "factual" books and gave them away i thought they were so awful. I got the impression that with a couple of facts or a chance meeting with some one famous he put together his account of how he thought things happened. Did he not say that the Bulge in the Ardennes was actually a US plan to feign retreat so that they could destroy all the German tank divisions that were remaining.

The Leo Kessler books i bought and read when i was about 10. They were one step up from the Commando comics, which i have just sold on E bay for a tidy sum. Never got round to reading his book "SS Stuka Squadron" but i am sure i didn't miss out.

Tim (too)

Just finished Poor Bloody Infantry, by him;................a dam good read.

Re the Battle of the Bulge book, already mentioned, I'm certainly NO expert on that battle, but it was good to find an author stating that British forces were involved;..........most other authors,(american mainly) ignore this fact.

to date, I've read quite a few of his titles,(thank goodness for a good local libary), and would rate him alongside Patrick Delaforce,Ken Tout and Ken Ford,..all of whoms (in my 'umble opinion), are well worth reading.

Andy

Have to agree.

I am on my second book by him - The Battle of Hurtgen Forest. My kiddies bought for me to read on flight to and within the US a couple of weeks. I was reading even before the plane took off. A great insight into Eisenhower, my god weren't the top brass so out of touch.

I intend to work my way through them all, I have never read work like it.