How did the fv433 Abbot fit into the British Army

Dougy FV432

Hi All,

As the title says,

I have been asked through the 432 website, what was the role and position of the Abbot.

I know there was a bit of an article in the MVT windscreen mag recently, but I can find it again.

Basically, what was its purpose, yes I know it was a SPG, but was the Army's criteria that it filled. What Regiments would have had it. What was its involvement in the 1st Gulf conflict. Did it go to Bosnia. Any information really.

Thanks in advance

Dougy

It ws the light gun S.P Mount for Royal Horse Artillery from 1965 replacing M44 in service supporting Armoured Brigades of BAOR and regiments training in UK. Deployed with 24 guns per regiment in 4 batteries of 6 guns sub divided into 3 gun sections each supported by a FV432 with face, 3 Stallwarts and a ferret.

There were 146 built with 20 VEA for training in Alberta.

As far as I am aware they were not deployed to the gulf in 1991 being replaced by M109. I don't think they saw service in Bosina in 1994 most had been sold off and the remainer were awaiting deployment as targets.

Steve

As far as I am aware they were not deployed to the gulf in 1991 being replaced by M109. I don't think they saw service in Bosina in 1994 most had been sold off and the remainer were awaiting deployment as targets.

Steve

Pretty sure they were long since replaced by 1991. I don't remember seeing Abbots when I was in the cavalry (75 - 82) at all, but then in a Recce battlegroup we never tended to see real artillery pieces: they were a figment of our exercise imagination. If I called in a fire mission, the attached LO from the RA at combat team Forward HQ would notionally feed the command into the divisional RA establishment where it would then be notionally passed to the guns through their chain of command. Fire missions were a work of fantasy without real guns.

When I was in Osnabruck, 82 - 85, the local Field Regiment (25?) I am pretty sure had M109s: I vaguely remember taking two very young, disinterested toddlers and an equally disinterested wife down to Roberts Barracks for an open day mooch.

When I went to Batus in 81 I remember actually calling down a real fire mission, this was a battery shoot of Abbots. Up till then as per normal recce I had done tons of pretendy ones, but actually calling in and controlling a real one was fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...