cvrt turret traverse

afvnut75

Hi to all those who own simitar,sabre, scorp,fox

Could any of you out there tell me if the turret traverse on the the above vehicles is just manual or electrical or both,

And the big question that i have is that if the above vehicles turret traverse is electrical could i fit the same unit to a fv432 with rarden turret ? if it is possible how easy is it to fit and wire up ?

cheers

• 1 month later...
hi chris Could please send me a piccy of this traverse gearbox then ill be able to tell you if its missing or not

thanks

I think you will know if it's missing or not - just try turning the turret!

I think you will know if it's missing or not - just try turning the turret!

this turret traverse gearbox allows you to change direction of turret doesnt it if thats what you mean then yes ive already got one.

cheers

chris

Alvis did offer an upgrade package for Scorpion at one time. This INCLUDED a motor & gearbox for powered traverse. If you are going to Bletring, have a chat with the Alvis AFV Society Boys!

Mike

What a great idea ! im not able to get to beltring this year as im moving house but i will contact the alvis fighting vehicle society asap

Thanks

What a great idea ! im not able to get to beltring this year as im moving house but i will contact the alvis fighting vehicle society asap

Thanks

Good luck they seem to be a bit self interested.

As recce vehicles, CVR(T)s were built primarily to be fast, hence light and there was never seen to be a need for power traverse (but if you needed to traverse through any significant arc, selecting the higher gear would make it traverse manually more quickly at the expense of needing a fiddler's right arm - I had served as Scorpion crewman for years before I discovered there was a second gear to the traverse handwheel: I guess my instructor just forgot to mention it).

I understand the latest tranche of Scimitars weigh in about 12.5 tons, compared with 7 in my day, so I could be persuaded to believe that at some point somebody decided to save the little darling point-and-click gunners of the Game Boy generation from developing a fiddler's right arm, unless those of us who learned to shoot properly on Scorpion.