Fox CVRW - adjusting the handbrake

markbg

Hi all,

Ok so due to advice already given Ive solved the power steering problem and the tyres now changed and the brakes have been checked and cleaned so the last thing I need to do before doing an oil chnage and coolant chnage this weekend is to adjust the handbrake.

Ive found a diagram of this in the manual but I was just wondering how to get to the adjuster nut to tighten up the bands as the handbrake is loose at the moment.

Is there an easy way to access it as currently I know the adjusters are somewhere in the boxes to the left and right of the driver next to the actual handbrake but not being houdinin or a contortionist Im not sure how to get to them?

any ideas welcome

cheers

Mark

p.s. got photos yesterday so will post them tonight hopefully

as Lee says remove the tinwork covers and each adjuster is then easy to see, it does help to remove the drivers seat so you can hold the feeler guage at a reasonable angle to set the correct clearance

ok thanks guys - was hoping I didn thave to do that but its never easy is it :)

is anyone going to war and peace this year witha FOX by the way- would be nice to see a few others..

cheers

Mark

Mark,

Once you have the covers off have a good look at the condition of the hand brake bands. One problem with them is that they can get contaminated up any oil or which might be floating around in the hull and then fall to pieces. To replace them you have to take the output flanges off the bevel boxes. I've done this job, and have some spare bands too if you need any help.

Chris

Mark,

Once you have the covers off have a good look at the condition of the hand brake bands. One problem with them is that they can get contaminated up any oil or which might be floating around in the hull and then fall to pieces. To replace them you have to take the output flanges off the bevel boxes. I've done this job, and have some spare bands too if you need any help.

Chris

Thats great - thanks - I'll take off the covers tonight and have alook at the bands condition - lets hope its just a tightening job - its the last problem to fix then its just oil/fluid change to do

p.s re the plate - the original documentation for the vehicle states it served with the Yeomanry (Sherwood) I think - it ws sold to private owners in 1987

Mine was in D Sqn. RY

09 FD 82

D.I.S 09.04.75

09.04.75 V.D. LUDGERHALL (ADPCON 16 APRIL 1975)

09.06.75 RAC CENTRE BOVINGTON

31.07.75 VD LUDGERSHALL

13.12.76 VSD N.I.

06.01.77 D SQN RY R (V)

20/8/84 CODE CHANGE FROM 7000 TON 8000

06.01.87 LUDGERSHALL

23.01.87 34 BASE WRKSHOP (PLANNED REPAIR)

28.09.87 LUDGERSHALL

24/11/87 1 QUEENS (REAR PARTY)

06/02/96 S/O

• 2 weeks later...
Mark,

Chris

Hi,

I took the covers off but the bands seem to be hidden under the housing for them - I can feel them moving when I use the handbrake so I tighteneed up the adjuster nut so theres a good inch and a half of screw showing below the adjuster nut but it doesnt seem to have made any difference - do I just take the metal housing to pieces to see the condition of the bands themselves? or is there a simpler way to do this - i.e. take off the spring and undo a particular nut?

Either way I reckon Im going to need new brake bands - could you le tme now how I can get them from yourself pls?

thanks

Mark

Hi,

I took the covers off but the bands seem to be hidden under the housing for them - I can feel them moving when I use the handbrake so I tighteneed up the adjuster nut so theres a good inch and a half of screw showing below the adjuster nut but it doesnt seem to have made any difference - do I just take the metal housing to pieces to see the condition of the bands themselves? or is there a simpler way to do this - i.e. take off the spring and undo a particular nut?

Either way I reckon Im going to need new brake bands - could you le tme now how I can get them from yourself pls?

thanks

Mark

Mark,

Send me an email to chris@sirhc.co.uk and I'll dig out some photos of how to replace them. I only have bands for one side, but can't remember which. I'll check and get back to you.

Chris