Blitz doc. on TV tonight

Rick W

I don't know about the cubelets, but when I was their age I used to have to watch the Daleks and Cybermen from the safety of behind the sofa - good job no food was involved......the Ice Warriors on the other hand were really funny :-)

Yep, Doctor Who I am afraid. everything is set up and ready, I will even time the cooking of dinner so its all ready to sit and watch whilst we eat!
right dinner on table, the cubed one is in from garage, cubelets are sufficiently over excited. Cue music........................................................

I don't know about the cubelets, but when I was their age I used to have to watch the Daleks and Cybermen from the safety of behind the sofa -

*cough! N.O.S. - you sure they were around then??

Yours concerned.

Jac.

Watched this program and was much impressed. It;s rare to hear the sotry of the blitz - and even rarer to hear it in the words of those who fought the fires and actually lived through it. Listening to the members of the AFS relate how they tried to contain the fires and save St Pauls in the midst of aerial bombardment was a strangely humbling experience - much more is owed to these men and women than ever seems admitted to.

Having seen and heard their stories I, for one, feel that "Bomber" Harris's comment about the Germans having sown the wind then reaping the whirlwind becomes much more understandable - especially when taken in conjunction with what happened to Coventry, Portsmouth and other UK cities. Had bad weather not prevented the return wave that Hitler wanted - things might have been a lot different for Londoners; equally had Goering had the use of 4 engined heavy bombers rather than the medium Heinkel 111's and Ju 88's etc. things might have gone a lot differently

The program made the valid point that, having seen the way the UK civilians morale toughened up rather than crumbled under the bombing, the authorities should have realised that a similar effect would occur in Germany. I suspect - purely as a personal viewpoint - that what occurred at places like Hamburg and Dresden also partook of the "playing them at their own game" effect. Whether area bombing of civilian targets is ever acceptable is a point that will be argued for a long while to come - but whatever the arguments for and against - in the context of WW2 at least it has to be accepted that deliberate targeting of cities was something Nazi Germany pioneered and thus should not complain about when those they hit retaliated in kind.