Petrol meadows engines

Butch

Hi all,

I've just brought a Meadows 630 PJ engine. It was a stand-by engine for a generator in a printing works and was brought by them at auction in the 70's. It has a few differences from a nomal 630 PC engine that i can see, these being:

diffent oil filters, cab gas adapters, fluid flywheel and governor settings - as it is set to start and run at 1800.

All of the above are painted in egg shell blue/green, as brought from auction. This engine was brand new, as there is no rebuild plate. It has done 213 hours, on starting it runs and revs without the nomal Meadows cough.

My question is this what did the MoD use a 6 cylinder petrol engine with fluid fly wheel in, and are there any other internal differences compared with a 630 PC engine ?

Hi all,

I've just brought a Meadows 630 PJ engine. It was a stand-by engine for a generator in a printing works and was brought by them at auction in the 70's. It has a few differences from a nomal 630 PC engine that i can see, these being:

diffent oil filters, cab gas adapters, fluid flywheel and governor settings - as it is set to start and run at 1800.

All of the above are painted in egg shell blue/green, as brought from auction. This engine was brand new, as there is no rebuild plate. It has done 213 hours, on starting it runs and revs without the nomal Meadows cough.

My question is this what did the MoD use a 6 cylinder petrol engine with fluid fly wheel in, and are there any other internal differences compared with a 630 PC engine ?

The fluid flywheel bit is a little confusing as this will have "slip" when coupled to a generator. 1800 rpm would suggest a 60 cycle output (USA). I have never seen a big generator that was not direct drive at 1500/1800 rpm.

ARE YOU SURE THAT IS WAS NOT FOR A COMPRESSOR OR A PUMP ?

Sounds like it was bought in to use as a spare engine for the generator i.e. intended to use engine only in case generator engine failed. I agree with you Antar that a fluid flywheel is not possible for generator drive.

In answer to both replies: The fluid flywheel was bolted to a shaft with a massive ten belt pulley on the end of it. I never saw the generator, only an exciter motor that was bolted to it. I can't see why the seller wouldn't tell me the truth. I was only wondering what this engine would have been used in as I'm going to put in my Explorer - it sounds and runs lovely !! :D

I was only wondering what this engine would have been used in as I'm going to put in my Explorer - it sounds and runs lovely !! :D

Top man Gary, sounds like this could be the answer to your prayers! It should not have been abused at all, nice find!

You say it doesn't cough, has it got the same type of carbs? I just wondered as it wouldn't need an accelerator pump thingy in a static instalation?

Does it have the same sump with the front scavenge pump for off road and steep down hills?

Hi all,

I've just brought a Meadows 630 PJ engine. It was a stand-by engine for a generator in a printing works

Butch, you say it was a stand by engine rather than standby generator, just an idea but is it a fluid flywheel and not a one way roller clutch?? Were you aware that Scammell helped develop the 6PC630 and were responsible for the induction side, at one stage a 3 carb set up was being considered?

You may be able to use the oil pumps, pipes and sump from your old engine as Bernard has suggested.

Butch, you say it was a stand by engine rather than standby generator, just an idea but is it a fluid flywheel and not a one way roller clutch?? Were you aware that Scammell helped develop the 6PC630 and were responsible for the induction side, at one stage a 3 carb set up was being considered?

You may be able to use the oil pumps, pipes and sump from your old engine as Bernard has suggested.

Sorry, it apparently was attached to a generator, and looks the same as a 630 PC in the Explorer, carbs, sump, everything, and has a tiny radiater to cool it. I don't know what a one way roller clutch looks like to be able to tell the difference,( Don't tell me, it only turns one way !! ) :??? what i have is full of fluid and turns both ways - thats all i know about it

Hi all,

Hi Butch,

I think that your engine was originally made for one of the RAF snow removal units, there were two types, both had two 6PJ630 engines driving the plough, and one of these types had a 6PC630 driving the vehicle. The two vehicles were the Douglas / Bros "Snow-Flyr" and the Steels / Bros "Snow-Flyr", it was the latter one with three Meadows in, now that would have sounded good when working hard!

The belt drive from fluid flywheel seems to fit as well, because from memory the FWD HAR snow removal trucks had the plough gear driven by a group of v-belts from the rear engine.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi Butch,

I think that your engine was originally made for one of the RAF snow removal units, there were two types, both had two 6PJ630 engines driving the plough, and one of these types had a 6PC630 driving the vehicle. The two vehicles were the Douglas / Bros "Snow-Flyr" and the Steels / Bros "Snow-Flyr", it was the latter one with three Meadows in, now that would have sounded good when working hard!

The belt drive from fluid flywheel seems to fit as well, because from memory the FWD HAR snow removal trucks had the plough gear driven by a group of v-belts from the rear engine.

Cheers for that Richard. Did the snow-flyr have a fuel trailer behind it? because the fuel comsumption must have been horrendous!! :shocked: Only the MoD could afford to run one . Like you say, would have sounded great .