Jeep build date please

Rick W

i

mine had the original data plates in brill condition . made 19th feb 1944 (a saturday!)..

That will be its date of delivery, ie when it passed its final inspection by Military inspectors as fit for delivery and had its military bonnet (hood) number, stencilled on and its dash plate stamped, this could have been up to several weeks after coming off the assembly line, they were not necessarily done in sequence plus Fords had several assembly plants

Edited by Nick Johns

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys I have just dated my GPW 183616 as February / March 1944 using this link http://www.xs4all.nl/~rdrnl/4UWPGPWSerialnumber.html but can anyone tell me where it was made ? its hood number ? where it was sent ? or anything else of interest about it ? Also its engine number 1722, can you tell when this was made etc ?. thanks

Edited by Ian L
Found a link to dating

"....Can anyone give me a build date with number 57994 please for a GPW? ...."

GPW motor # GPW-57994 was assembled at the Ford Motor Co. Rouge Motor Building on Tuesday, August 11, 1942.

It would have been assembled into a vehicle (GPW-57994) three to about nine working days later.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA. USA

"........anyone tell me the date of my GPW ? 183616 and engine 1722......"

Your GPW, GPW-183616 would have had motor # GPW-183616 originally ......

Motor # GPW-1722 would be from a different earlier GPW.

All Ford Jeeps had matching motor, frame and data plate numbers.

Here is some data on both .....

GPW motor # GPW-1722 was assembled at the Ford Motor Co. Rouge Motor Building on February 18, 1942 and would have been assembled into vehicle GPW-1722.

GPW motor # GPW-183616 was assembled at the Ford Motor Co. Rouge Motor Building on February 11, 1944 and would have been assembled into vehicle GPW-183616 three to about nine working days later.