trailer I.D

I have had this photo for around 30 years a still do not know its make or purpose, I have to admit its been sitting in a file for god knows how long after i failed to get some positive i.d when i first had it. Its dated around 1941-2 period but i think it was designed amd probably built in the late 1930s by the old artillery wheels used, note the suport bracket above the front axle. It is certaily a military item as i remember copying it from a WW2 album of military trailers. So any ideas

hmvf1..jpg

Well, just by looking at the photo .... it looks more 30s than 40s.

The trailer chassis is obviously contructed for one purpose, such as hauling a fire pump, generator, or maybe a barrage balloon scavenge pump. Not heavy duty, and not cross-country either. The basic layout isn't right for a bomb trailer as it isn't heavy enough, presumably the sticking up bit between the front wheels is a handbrake?

The superstructure is just an adaptation of the basic trailer, and it looks to be fixed in position, so not the sort of thing you could load something on and raise or lower it, but I don't see access stairs or ramps or whatever either.

So, a braked four wheel trailer around 1 ton or 30cwt, for road transport of an item that needs to be at that height, or is more conveniently loaded / unloaded at that height? I can't get the concept of a barrage balloon out of my head - would this take one complete barrage balloon assembly, or something very similar. Large but relatively light, and correct volume / size / weight rating / period.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M