National Aviation Museum Bodo, Norway

The museum opened in 1994 and my only previous visit was in 2005. Nothing much has changed since then, but the museum is well kept and really nice. The museum builing itselg is shaped like a bladed propellar with one civilain part, one military part and the old control tower in the middle. From the tower you look down the runway of the airport, where you also can see military aircrafts as the F-16, C-130 and army helicopters. During our 6 hour stay we saw a total of 14 F-16s, 2 Hercules and 2 helicopters. This area has always been an important area because of the closeness to Russia.

At the entrence you're greeted by a Hurricane replica.

IMG_7406.jpg

When you enter the door to the 10.000 m2 exhibit you're greeted by friendly local staff. Just inside there's the reception/ gift shop, cafe and a wardrobe where you can leave your clothes and stuff. I'm glad I didn't need to bring my N3-B Parka around inside the museum. It came to good use outdoors with -14 Celsius and plenty of wind. Even though it's just 1.5 kms from the airport Taxi was a good idea this day.

Just inside you meet the first aircraft among them the Northrop RF-5A Freedom Fighter

IMG_7075.jpg

Since two F-16s landed side by side just shortly after our arrival we were hungry to see more of these birds and entered the control tower. The main road goes beneath the control tower, so you can watch both the road and the runway from both control tower and cafe.

IMG_7085.jpg

The military part of the museum aim to show flight from the early beginning until the modern times. It tells the story from the building of own aircraft, through the war years and cold war period.

The exhibit is many different planes, equipment, info boards and wonderful dioramas. Dioramas both in full scale and mini format. The lighting in the two halls makes it difficult to take good pictures; it's also rather full of planes. I've tried to adjust the light a bit in the photos posted.

Full size Norwegian aircraft workshop.

IMG_7100.jpg

Full size German wreck as found in the mountains.

IMG_7101.jpg

Mini size German attack of Sola airport April 9th 1940.

IMG_7126.jpg

Mini size German 88 battery.

IMG_7137.jpg

Different weapons used.

IMG_7275.jpg

End of part I.

Martin Lillemaehlum, Norway

(martylee)

Edited by martylee

Here's some ww2 planes.

Mosquito (with Harvard/ Texan above)

IMG_7154.jpg

Gladiator

IMG_7095.jpg

Spitfire

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

Catalina

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

Catalina diorama Woodhaven, Scotland

IMG_7180.jpg

Nissen hut at Woodhaven

IMG_7174.jpg

End of part II.

Marty

Edited by martylee

After the war norwegian forces used both german and allied equipment. Norway joined NATO in 1949 and at the beginning of the 50s received weapons aid from the USA. The airforce used the Spitfire for several years before they moved on to the jets.

Vampire

IMG_7184.jpg

Thunderjet

IMG_7222.jpg

Sabre

IMG_7220.jpg

Starfighter

IMG_7225.jpg

Freedom fighter

IMG_7075.jpg

The trainers and observation planes.

IMG_7209-1.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

End of part VI.

Marty

During the cold war Bodo airport played an important role for the U2 flights over the soviet union. The jewel in the collection must be the U2 plane kept beneath the roof in the civilian part of the museum. Almost impossible to get a decent photo because of the lighting and lack of space.

U2

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7312.jpg

the atomic bomb, which Norway has none of.

IMG_7234.jpg

End of part VII.

Marty

At the civillian part of the museum, they aim to describe how the planes works. Also what goes on at the airport towers during take-off and landing. Many things that kids of all ages can mess around with. Even a real Cessna where you can pull all handles and switches.

There's also a flight simulator that you can try at certain times. Lots of nice civillian planes. Equally good as the military part.

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

End of part IX.

Marty

All in all this is a very good museum. Large collection in very good condition. It also tells the story of flight in Norway. It describes how things works. It is in a very nice builing. It has several of the standard planes, but also some more unusual planes like the Mosquito and U2. I can recommend it very much. Probably the best museum I've been to. We had a great time!

The end!

Martin Lillemaehlum, Norway

Glad you like the photos!

I might add another piece of information about the airport at Bodo. Not only did U2s land there, but it also served as an emergency recovery base for the SR-71 Blackbird. It was in use 5 times between 1981-85. All 5 times the planes were recovered!

Marty