Ferret markings

Andrew S

I am hoping someone out there will be able to help me. I have a Ferret mk 2/3 and am trying to add some authentic insignia. I have an old photo of insignia my vehicle once had (mine is the vehicle in the rear in the photo) and I was hoping someone may have more knowledge on this. In the photo there are several markings I am interested in:

On the turret there is a circular marking , I assume must be yellow or white but which?& what does it signify?

On the front drivers left is a decal with a cat. (for some reason black on yellow seems to be likely) what does this signify? There is a similar insignia on a vehicle in Pat Ware's book but there is no comment as to what it is.

On the front right is a unit marking (looks like a white 31?)

Any info on these markings would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

06CC12inaction.jpg

For anyone who might be interested I now have the answer to this. I emailed the Bovington Tank museum and they were very helpful and were able to answer the question.

Here is the reponse:

Re: Markings

The black cat on a yellow square represents British Land Forces Borneo.

The circle would represent C Squadron ( Squadron HQ was a diamond, A Sqn. a triangle, B Sqn a square, C Sqn. a circle). Given that it’s a black and white photograph it’s difficult to ascertain whether the circle is yellow or white (it’s most likely yellow). The British Army registration number is definitely white though. The officer’s `tent’ hat identifies the unit as 8th Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars who were out in Borneo during 1964.

The white number 31 on a red/yellow square is the serial unit number and most likely corresponds to them being the Armoured Car Regiment in Burma. Unfortunately, whilst identify World War Two serial numbers is relatively straight forward there is little information on markings for post-war British units.

There is a guy on ebay selling vinyl markings for afv's especially Ferrets. Both he and the guy who prints them are friends of mine. If you need a one off made up then Rick will do it.

Drop Clive (on ebay) of me a message.

Dave

I got a convoy marker for the Stalwart from this gentleman and it is top quality - would certainly recommend him to anyone!!!

Which reminds me - I need to contact him again as we discussed doing a bridging sticker for the front of the Stalwart - grey with the 14 on it.