Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

I hope this will be of interest, Jack Sparshatt was a great friend of mine, he was a pioneer in the collecting of early commercial vehicles. Being in the commercial vehicle trade in a big way his salesmen were always out and about and through a network of contacts came up with some amazing finds in this early period 1955 - 64. I walked into his office one Saturday morning at Hilsea ,Portsmouth, probably 1963/4 to immediately taken through to the workshop to be shown the laterst acquistion, the RFC Crossley tender. I am sure he told me it came from a small garage around Basingstoke and was painted red/ yellow, very original except for the small Harvy Frost crane in the back. Jack was very pleased with it. It was subsequently restored , painted all over grey,and as you say appeared at Brighton. Somewhere I have a picture of it there. Jack by now had a large collection mostly on solids or of Dennis manufacture. A business amalgamation with Wadham Stringer didn't agree with him ! and after a great falling out almost overnight he sold the collection so it did not fall into other hands.The Crossley went to Charlie Russett at Southampton, another dealer in lorries and old friend. I last saw it when I went to see Charlie to try and buy it, must be 20 years ago, after Charlies death it passed to his son and I assume it is from whom you have bought it.

Regards,

Richard Peskett

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Richard this is very interesting and takes this vehicle's history back a further stage, is there anyone from Basingstoke out there who knows something of its earlier history?

I have attached cuttings from the Transport Journal May 1966 showing the tender at Brighton and other vehicles which Richard will no doubt recognize?

Tom

l to b 1966 -2.jpg

l to b 1966.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Tom, the 1966 Brighton run pictures, there is a twist in the tail !, the lower picture is the 1915 Seldon truck beloging to Charlie Russett, later owner of the Crossley tender. When Charlie bought it in the late 1950s it had spent most of its life on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour, and again a very original truck. I believe some Seldons were used by the US but with many British vehicles being requistioned in 1914 American manufactures found an immediate new market hence for a short time many previously unheard of makes appeared here in civillian use. The top picture is the Foden which later passed to Hardwicks and is basically very similar mechanically to many used by the WD in WW1.

Richard Peskett.

The Selden was still with Charles Russett at the time I purchased the Tender, I noticed it had a wheel off, otherwise it looked in good order.

The Foden reg M8287 has a very similar number to the WD Foden M8562 I have seen about.

On inspection I have found the cast Tender water pump impeller to have many cracks and so have fabricated a new one from stainless which is very easy to do if you are able to draw in CAD and have access to a lazer machine. The blades are curved as the original and are tabbed to fit into the slotted front and rear impeller plates, much easier than making a pattern and casting.

The image below shows the assembled lazer parts, final welded and machined impeller plus the original.

Tom

Image0178.jpg

Image0179.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

I apologise but can I hijack this thread for a little bit.:blush:

I am building a 1/35th model of a Free State Army Crossley Tender circa 1921-4 as a present for someone currently serving in the Irish Defence Force Cavalry Squadron.

I have a drawing from Irish archives and thanks to the members of this thread, a fair bit of photo references. However my trip to the RAF Museum at Hendon did not work out as intended and I appear to have no photo references for the instruments and controls, the rear undersides or the truck bed.

If any one has any pictures and would be kind enough to share them I would be very gratefull.

regards

Paddy

Paddy, PM me your e-mail address and i'll get photos sent to you of all those parts

• 5 months later...

Re. post 84, I would think that the first two are Lancias and the remainder are Crossleys ( the curved manifold should tell). The lorrry appears to be a Leyland workshop but the props to the lower half of the body at the back are missing, its also on solids and looks the little worse for wear. I assume the picture is pre 1927 hence the workshop is not the same one as we have which is in good original condition and was new in 1927.

Richard Peskett.

The fifth vehicle along a Crossley tender has a vertical wood support behind the front seat with a clevis arrangement which I believe is to support a lewis machine gun.

The same vehicle or very similar to the one below?

If it is the same one it has suffered in the interim!

Detail is always most interesting

keo1.jpg

A_Crossley_Tender_In_Dungarvan_Castle_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My goodness, that's fast! We'll wave as you zip past!

Steve :D

Sounds like poetry to me in more ways than one!

Tom :cool2:

By coincidence after the clip the youtube featured "up next" shows Irish Republic song Boys Of KilMichael which has a lyric reference to Crossley Tenders 1-00 minute in

Edited by Charawacky