Bidding frenzy for RIC helmet

fv1609

I was delighted to find this RIC helmet on ebay for 99p.

pin1.jpg

But just look at the bidding history going up in leaps & bounds. We are still more than 9 days from the end. I can see this going well over £2k. This seller has a lot of other RIC kit, all quite mouth watering.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140377823980&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will your gas mask fit under it Clive? It's amazing what things go for, but it is a handsome looking thing. Do you think many survive? I've often wondered how expensive the Irish Free State coal scuttle helmets might go for. The particular combination of uniform/equipment would make an interesting living history display.

Good luck with your bid. :-D

Mark

Will your gas mask fit under it Clive? It's amazing what things go for, but it is a handsome looking thing. Do you think many survive? I've often wondered how expensive the Irish Free State coal scuttle helmets might go for. The particular combination of uniform/equipment would make an interesting living history display.

Mark

Mark this predates the Free State when the territory was still part of the Empire! I think it must have been an awe inspiring sight to see a mounted troop with their sabres & revolvers at the ready. I certainly might inspire the confidence of the law abiding population over here even today!

There was a 1905 helmet like this, in not such a good condition, that appeared on ebay last year with a buy in now for £2,750. It was re-advertised & went for £1,750 I think.

Bloody interesting stuff. It's amazing what there is a market for. I would imagine that divesting the trappings of UK rule after independence would have involved destroying a lot of stuff like this which are now desirable. It was ever thus. Thanks for the knowledge young Clive.

MB

I think it must have been an awe inspiring sight to see a mounted troop with their sabres & revolvers at the ready. It certainly might inspire the confidence of the law abiding population over here even today!

Pro-active policing, something like this:

parade.jpg

Oh yes, when it reached £500 it just jumped to £1,000 in one bid. The last increase was by £300.

When it started at 99p, I posted that I thought it was likely to go over £2k. So who knows what it will be with over 5 days to go!

Mark

Paul Merton in Europe. In the episode I have yet to watch on Sky+ (I saw the trailer) he meets a set of ROI SS re-enactors. He asks questions about whether they get strange looks walking round dressed like that. The guy replies, "We'd get dortier looks if we walked around in British uniforms."

Fair point. Made me laugh.

Yes that was quite exciting !

Just the small RIC helmet badge went for £2,550

I was going to bid on the tunic only which was my size. It had been stuck on £165 then went up to £565.

All his RIC items went for nearly £18.5k