CVR(W) Fox genny rehab

robin craig

Ok children, are you sitting comfortably.

This will be jottings and pictures of some of the minor work I am trying to get done before spring in our shop on the much unloved (by others) Fox.

The initial problems was that the pulley came of the generator. That span around for a few revolutions and wore down the threads on the shaft.

Subsequent investigation revealed that the pulley was a fabricated item and not OEM.

We had to pull the rear end of the vehicle apart to get this far as the fan volute assembly had to come out.

I was full of dread and loathing as I had heard tales of doom on this job. Infact apart from breaking some wiring connections to the rear left light cluster in a clumsy move by my then assistant it went well.

We have noticed that the oil cooler is flopping around and needs a strap made up to mount it which I will do.

Also the original mount for the genny was again less than OEM so I will have to sort that out as we go.

Please note, I am not a mechanic by trade, just logical and the poor plug who has to keep our kit rolling. This is not my primary work task but is my primary love. We only have a few short weeks to get things done in the winter as we are a going concern as a farm amongst other things.

If any of you have more knowledge please do not hesitate to chime in and point out any flaws in what I am doing. If you have pictures or parts, post the pictures and let me know you have for parts and we will see if I can buy them from you.

I will post some pictures with this post of the vehicle at a local parade shortly after receipt on its one and only jaunt out before the trouble started.

I will take some pics in the morning.

R

well, its a few days since I cleared the decks to get at this job, sadly it was all delayed by the "buried tank" issue that I occured and has now been solved!

I have also suffered "technical" issues with uploading images, that has now been solved too, yippeee.

here is a picture of the offending shaft on the generator and the knackered threads.

R

fox generator stripped.jpg

Chris,

Indeed the lighting should unscrew, the left side got caught before we could do that and broke the connector, I will show pictures later.

I'm sure the drive coupling is from the btch you had made, likely you sold it to the person we bought our vehicle from.

I am missing any parts pages for the installation of the generator, I have no FV parts numbers for the left or right brackets, nor do I have any parts numbers for the duct that drop down from the rear of the generator and connects sideways to the two round tubes with a flexible coupling.

I am also missing any of the bracketry to hold the oil cooler on the left side of the hull to the cross beam above or to the left volute, I have the parts pages for this section.

Anyone have any of these parts?

R

Robin,

Great pix. I always like to look at other peoples projects before I get in over my head on mine. I've got some slop in my cooling fan assy and think it's the drive coupling (#34 in your diagram). Was wondering if these are available or hard to find? Also, as long as I am going to have the back end apart might as well replace the drive belts. Since I imported my FOX back in 96 all I've had to do is replace a power steering line, so I am a little reluctant to dive into a project that may result in a summer of no driving. (of course now that I've mentioned it the next time I hit the starter it'll probably scatter parts all over the shop!)

Keep us informed on the progress,

Richard

Richard,

#34 is easy to get, but don't rule out problems with the bevel gearbox. We have a NOS fan drive unit fitted to ours. The first time we drove it it started rumbling, and got worse and worse. We stripped it down to reveal that it hadn't been assembled correctly. After a bit of work it's now ok! Belts are all standard commercial sizes, I did make a list of the numbers once, but they are mostly written on the belts anyway.

Chris

Robin,

According to the user manual there is no adjustment of the belts. I know there are shims which sit between the alternator brackets and the fan housing, but can't see any instructions for how many to fit. How loose is it? We usually work to 1/2" or so deflection when pressed in the middle of the span.

Chris

Have tried to attach them to messages but system is fighting me again and I cannot getthem through.

let me have a PM with email add and I'll getthem to you

Alan t

Please try & post here for all to see, try switching to the standard uploader if you can't get on with the enhanced one

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16555-Forum-Bugs-2&p=184987#post184987

If you are having trouble because of error messages please report them in the Forum Bugs thread

So, I have made a stand for the fan unit to be worked on as opposed to the storage stand that is wooden which is in the background.

We never skimp on making jigs or stands. They always pay off in spades as the work is safe and if we ever have to do the job again its always in our tool crib. We make them out of odds and sods in the small scrap pile. We always prime and deburr for safety and tidyness.

R

Fox parts 003.jpg