Russian AFV's in the Basrah Area

tartan-ninja

I think I know just the place :cool2:....Tank Grave yard outside Kabul easy to get stuff here the Americans lifted a FT17 WW1 vintage tank from here and there has been loads of early biplanes recovered in the last few years from the other smaller scrapyard off to the left of this picture...think it would cost a fortune to get it home though :-(

Got a few more to scan, its got T34's, T34/85's, BRDM's BTR's, BMD's, MTLB's, T55's and T62's and quite a few other Types.... pity its not the most handy place at the moment...but who knows in a few years !

tankgraveyard.jpg

Edited by tartan-ninja
forgot the types

I've seen a lot worse than that BRDM-2 restored! Nice little vehicles.

How does it work over there, is it just finders keepers? I'd love an MTLB but those ones look a bit rough ;)

Stone

I think there is all sorts of hoops you have to jump through to get kit back, not just a case of, oi get that f%$king tank on that ship.:cool2:

Weren't most of the Iraqi ones abandoned by the crews without firing a shot? (in GW1 at least!)

Stone

Some, but barring the typical catastrophic Russian tank turret toss, you can't really be sure (unless it's burnt through and through). 120mm might be hard to miss, but 25mm and 30mm fired by the Bradley and Hog are smaller and easily skipped...

AFAIK the US is the only nation to use Depleted uranium slugs in cannons..

No mate it went to Marchwood then no idea, probably going to end up as some gate guard or museum piece.

As I said in a previous post about shipping stuff back from theatre.

It CAN be done! If they can ship a Tank back, Artillery peices would be easier!

This will most probably end up as a unit Gate Guardian/ Trophy.:-\

I suspect this is something organised within a unit at high level on the quiet!

Good for them! :yay:

fadedsun

AFAIK the US is the only nation to use depleted uranium slugs in cannons

I assume you mean in the 1st and 2nd Iraqi wars. In addition to the U.S. the former Soviet Union (therefore any of the now independant states and Russia itself) use D.U in calbres 115 and 125 and possibly in smaller high velocity weapons.

After the Falklands War Britiain received batches of 20mm Phalank (gatling gun) D.U. ammunition for the weapons retro-fitted to major British naval vessels, this casued press consternation and a quick switch to tungsten, in the 1990s the USN discontinued 20mm D.U. for the Phalank and changed to tungsten.

I don't know if the British Army used D.U. in 120mm cannons in service, however a fair number of were expended into the Irish Sea if I remember correctly from DERA Seascale, but possibly also trialed at Kirkcudbright but again into the sea not against hard targets. There are also stories of D.U. being tested elsewhere in the U.K. but are probably stories.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
There are also stories of D.U. being tested elsewhere in the U.K. but are probably stories.

Steve

Not stories but fact, they fired them just up the road from me at Foulness & also at West Freugh

http://www.parliament.uk/post/pn154.pdf

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/754870.Atomic_contamination_tests_at_firing_ranges/

http://archive.echo-news.co.uk/2001/2/21/186814.html

Edited by Marmite!!

safariswing

Not stories but fact,

IMO there is no information presented other than “stories” media generated reporting and reports are not facts.

While the PN154.pdf document is somewhat out of date it supports what I said in my previous post.

Neither of the other 2 documents “echo news” gives any factual information.

The Echo revealed last month how depleted uranium was secretly fired around 200 times on the island by the Atomic Weapons Establishment during the mid-1980s to early 1990s.

How did they reveal? do they have a credable witness, does the Southend Echo have Mosad style spy network capabilities and while I am very sceptical about Government of any colour and the MOD I am also very sceptical when academics give testimony to select committees and the reporting media (in this case the Southend Echo) fail to support their summation with verifiable evidence, further fails to report for whom the academic speaks (The retired prof. in question is a spokesman and adviser to the Gulf war Veterans association- which I don’t have a problem with, but that should always be reported) .

I don’t know if any DU was fired on Foulness however hard targets placed there in the past will have leaked trace amounts of isotopes in the environment (the common one is Thorium) along with huge amounts of other toxic materials of lesser controversy. It is also perfectly possible that DU rounds were fired into the sea from Foulness, however what would be value as this work was at the time already being done at Easkmeals. It is also known that as the navy had 20mm DU rounds until 2004 these must have been expended on some range but again it was probably into the sea.

The DERA facility at West Freugh possibly took over from the Dera facility at Kirkcudbright closed and while there is a good possibility that DU ammunition could be fired from their facility there is no hard evidence in the post (nor anything in the Web media) that they have done so –there is a firing point ranging into Luce bay that is easily viewed by the public or anti nuclear protesters and is in very close proximity to a caravan park. In the past DERA West Freugh has a bad press for dropping Cluster Bombs into Luce Bay and failing to adequately clean up and is therefore likely to be on various watch lists of weapons protestors.

Steve