RAF Launches at Hendon

Jessie The Jeep

There were about four of these RAF Pinnaces based at Falmouth in the 1950's. They were generally moored up in the harbour there but were brought ashore from time to time - dragged up on a slipway - near what was Taylors Garage in those days but now a branch of Trago Mills - presumably to have their bottoms scraped or some other kind of maintenance. I understand that they were mainly used for recovering practice torpedos from the sea.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
I hope I have got this right - but that is a deep draft.

Might be a bit late now but for info anyway.

That's a very shallow draft for the size of boat. When referring to 'deep draft' boats you would normally be talking about large commercial shipping that need about 15' of water to float.

Motor boats primarily come in two styles of hull; plaining (one that will lift the boat higher when at speed reducing drag) or displacement (one that will just shove the water aside). On the whole motor boats (of sensible size... up to about 45') seldom have drafts exeeding 6'. Even the Severn Class Lifeboat doesn't exeed that at 57' long (and they cram all the running gear below the waterline to help with the self righting)