Hole in timing case cover

Tony B

Question

17 answers to this question

The vehicle is a conversion. Range Rover with 2.8 Isuzui. I've owned her for years with no problem. It was showing off speding up a rough track that was slippery and snow covered. Morale: If you can't see the ground, engage brain before right foot. Thanks for the advice lads.

Or get it welded up.

I've used aluminium MIG welding for filling holes in non structural parts.

The initial weld won't be pretty, but it cleans up very easily and you can't usually see the join.

TIG would be even better and would leave a cleaner and stronger weld.

A look in daylight, shows I was an idiot not a **** idiot. I've knocked a hole in the flat part of the sump, but unfortunatley alloy. The idea is to strip it off and clean up then look at options. At the moment -7' is s eriously stopping play. The main thing is will any of the chemical metals stand imersion in hot engine oil? TIG would be the best answer but its quite a big hole.

The main thing is will any of the chemical metals stand imersion in hot engine oil?

Plastic Padding Chemical Metal

Resistant to temperatures up to +160°C

Allows machining including tapping threads after 20 minutes

Resistant to water, salt water, oil, fuel, and to most weak acids and chemicals

Errr...... If the hole is on a flat part of the sump can you not just blot a patch over it. An old flor plate from a landy is a good source of ally for a patch , you could even fashion a gasket too only you will have to remove the sump to hold the nuts inside:)

Errr...... If the hole is on a flat part of the sump can you not just blot a patch over it. An old flor plate from a landy is a good source of ally for a patch , you could even fashion a gasket too only you will have to remove the sump to hold the nuts inside:)

How about as above but use self tapping screws and locktite with a gasket will keep the oil in and the muck out for the time being.

Why not use some of those Luminweld rods which have been discussed on here before, sounds a good time to give them a try to see what they are like..

I have now applied a patch to the sump. Weapon of choice was Quick steel. This is a two coloured paste like a swiss roll. You break off a chunk and then roll in your hands until it is an even colour and starts to feel slightly warm. Reason for chossing this stuff is that it is self curing, and as it will set under water isn't temprature sensitive.

First clean area well then roughen with coarse emery. I cut a piece of Aluminium mesh about 1/2 inch border round the size of the hole. I put a layer of paste about the same depth as the depth of the hole on it then pressed it onto the hole. Pulled it back down to check the paste had formed the right shape for the hole, it had, then reapplied working out from the centre to spread the paste and fix it to the case. After that I mixed the rest of the paste and spread it over the mesh out onto the area of the case to form a complete seal.

The reason for doing it today is that I have a lot on over the next couple of days so won't be able to get back and refill with oil and try it out till Saturday at the earliest. That means the paste has plenty of time to cure. Will let you know.