What's he driving??

Marmite!!

I think its Russian.

Agreed, driving position on the left, agricultural look...Could be a BRDM-2?

aPC070047.jpg

aPC070069.jpg

Seems to have vision blocks and hatches in about the right places, not sure on scale though. If not I'd guess at BTR-50.

If it is a BRDM-2 it seems to have some extra controls on the rightmost edge of the dashboard compared to the one I linked to...could it be one of the radio vehs or maybe decontamination unit?

Stone

Edited by Stone

I think you might be right, it may well be the Decontamination variant. After the first gulf war they fetched a captured one back to the NBC training place at (Porton Down I think?) I remember hearing about how the support troop of my old regiment was going for joy rides in it. If that cap badge is an RTR one (not sure) didnt they used to duel role as the NBC regiment in the 90's?

I've changed my mind, it fits better as a BTR-60. (check out the screwtop fuse locations right of the driver; black in this pic but silver in the OP)

S1031896.JPG

Would be a more reasonable vehicle to capture too since they're big and impressive :cool2:

Stone

I think you might be right, it may well be the Decontamination variant. After the first gulf war they fetched a captured one back to the NBC training place at (Porton Down I think?) I remember hearing about how the support troop of my old regiment was going for joy rides in it. If that cap badge is an RTR one (not sure) didnt they used to duel role as the NBC regiment in the 90's?

Until (very) recently 1RTR formed the Army contribution to the Joint CBRN Regiment. I understand in the last few days from ARRSE that the RAF have withdrawn from this and now 1RTR have dropped the word Joint from their role.

According to wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Armoured_Corps ):

UK Regiments

• Catterick: Armoured Regiment (RDG) (4th Mechanised Brigade), Formation Reconnaissance Regiment (QRL) (19th Light Brigade)

• Tidworth: 2 x Armoured Regiment (2RTR, KRH), Formation Reconnaissance Regiment (QDG) (1st Mechanised Brigade, 12th Mechanised Brigade, 3rd Mechanised Division)

• Windsor: Formation Reconnaissance Regiment (HCR) (Theatre Troops)

• Swanton Morley: Formation Reconnaissance Regiment (LD) (Theatre Troops)

• Warminster: 2 x squadrons (1RTR)

• Honington: JCBRN Regiment (1RTR)

• Bovington: HQ RAC

The information is at least a year old, since this list appears under "Future Deployments" and lists QDG as being in Osnabruck, which closed a year ago.

But you get the drift.