Strange places to see a military vehicle

Jeff Glasser

What's the oddest place you've seen a military vehicle in, either on purpose as in the photo' here of a jeep taken up Glastonbury Tor in 1949, (driven there by local car dealer Cecil Pursey, of Pursey's Garages of Street. Now a main Vauxhall agents) or by accident?

Brilliant. I have walked up there and found that challenging. Must have been very interesting in a Jeep.

Tim

Brilliant. I have walked up there and found that challenging. Must have been very interesting in a Jeep.

Tim

You probably remember going up the 'easy' more sloping side, that's the way I think the jeep was driven up there, Still bloody scarey though. Rumour has it that some G.I.'s also did it during W.W.II.

Back in the late '60's when I had my first jeep (my only vehicle then) I tried it but attempted going up the steep side, got nearly to the top too. jeep lost traction and started to roll back, so no longer having control, I bailed out. Luckily it turned sideways and stopped. It was a bit of a bum tightening ride down though:shake:!

(just in case anyone reading this knows where G.P.W. KCG 509 is maybe they'd put me in contact with the owner.)

Back in the late '60's when I had my first jeep (my only vehicle then)

(just in case anyone reading this knows where G.P.W. KCG 509 is maybe they'd put me in contact with the owner.)

A search on DVLA shows, "green Willys, KCG 509" is currently licensed. so its out there somewhere

Edited by Nick Johns

Makes you wonder what the place was like on a Saturday night.:shake:

Lively. I can't remember the name of it... but I was politely asked to leave one evening after an encounter with lager.

There was another one called Charlee Browns where the dj was....Dale Winton. The birds were generally gorgeous and all entirely unattainable once you got beyond the "wot car you got?" question... A misspent yoof recalled.

MB