Citric acid

FWDTEXAS

Intresting stuff!

What concentration of acid are you using? I assume that this is just citric acid powder mixed with water?

And how long did you leave the parts in for?

I once made the mistake of putting an aluminium part into my caustic soda dip tank! :cry:

I have been using citric acid for years.

We have a large lemon tree which bears fruit 11 months of the year. Far too many for our normal use. So I just peel them and squash the rest into a drum, juice, pith seeds and all. Then I just add the necessary bit and watch the rust disolve away. Rusted bolts and nuts will just undo after a couple of days in the citric acid. I don't know about aluminium, I haven't tried that. Copper and brass does turn pink until you polish it.

I always wire brush then rinse with clean water and spray a dewatering spray on straight away. If you don't, any steel or cast-iron bit will start rusting imediately.

Regards Rick

I have used citric acid before, both to clean aluminium and remove rust. The aluminium cleaning was a bit indifferent but the rust just disappeared in no time. The acid mix does go pretty nasty and things seem to live in it after a while. Losing small pieces in a green sludge is easy to do!

It has been suggested to me that I try molasses in water as a de-rusting agent? I have only heard it from one source but he absolutely swears by it. I have not yet tried it but have any of you? What are your experiences? I think the solution is relatively innocuous which is always nice too.

Steve