Reviving batterys

I know we've been through this before, but,! I have a six volt battery that had been left on vehicle for about eighteen months. I got it home and it charged up to full voltage. Now the charger is charging for a few seconds then cutting off, then cutting back in. It is a three cell battery and currently will hold about 5.2 volts. Any suggestion how I can discharge the thing and try again? Twelve volt wouldn't be a problem, but can the stuff be used on six volt? There are now decent six volt solar chargers available at resonable prices. I use twelve volt ones on mine and they have kept the batteries trickled up nicley.

You can now get battery chargers which you can leave plugged in to the wall and plumbed in to the battery, keeps the battery charged up and in a good state. 12 or 6 volt. When I get into work tomorrow I will post a couple of links. Oh, and by the way, I can supply these for you at a good price!

Thanlks mate. That Ctex one looks intresting. Others on here must run six volters.:iloveyou:

Also very useful info, the flashing and cliking, according to site the battrey is in a desulphating stage. so it has answerd that question!

Edited by Tony B

Maplin have a solar panel charger for 12 volts, at under £10 at the moment. I have used them for some years, and keep batteries charged over the winter to problems. No mains required, and no running costs.

Tbey are curently doing a special offer on the 13 watt solar Power Station, that comes in a 3v, 6v, 12 v version and 24 volt version.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=solar power staions&source=15

Maplin have a solar panel charger for 12 volts, at under £10 at the moment. I have used them for some years, and keep batteries charged over the winter to problems. No mains required, and no running costs.

I looked at them, how do they work? if they plug into the cigar lighter, how does current get to the battery?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have totally lost one cell. So what I'm doing at the moment is leaving it on the six volt solar trickle charger, and just forget about it. After all it is costing me nothing to run the charger. I am just checking the voltage every couple of days. Did try pouring the electrolytr out and replacing with distilled water and Magnesium sulphate. (Epsom Salts) and old trick, see if it works, so far I've lost nothing. Open circuit charge is about 4.8 volts.