Model Holt gun tractor engine

gritineye

It sounds great on tick-over, sadly the illusion is lost at high revs. But a fantastic achievement.

I guess there would not be adequate power output at maximum full size speed (1,000rpm) even to propel a scale model along - despite the large flywheel?

I've thought over the years about a scale slow speed engine but never quite got my head around the mathematics/physics of scale power/torque outputs from a miniature engine (anything above 2,800rpm is beyond my comprehension).

You get no joy from running a short-stroke (or equal bore/stroke) modern small diesel at very low speed, I guess a properly miniaturised long-stroke design would fare better?

I

I guess there would not be adequate power output at maximum full size speed (1,000rpm) even to propel a scale model along - despite the large flywheel?

I've thought over the years about a scale slow speed engine but never quite got my head around the mathematics/physics of scale power/torque outputs from a miniature engine (anything above 2,800rpm is beyond my comprehension).

Especially as at 1/4 size 1,000 rpm becomes 250 rpm............doesn't it?..:whistle:

Tim, it seems we have a common interest in Great War Holt tractors, I have always been fascinated them.

One of my long term customers is a rather eccentric lady who's country cottage I have worked on over many years.

Whilst clearing out a room in order to build a new dormer window I had to move her bookshelves, amongst the books was a hard back book with hand cut regimental insignia on the spine and cover called 'War Book' as I moved it I had a peek inside and could not believe what I saw, it appears her father was attached to a unit that used Holt tractors and big guns, this was his diary, there were loads of pictures of them on manoeuvres, lined up in walled gardens, being inspected etc.

Some of the most interesting photos where of him and his mates mucking about, it seems they had a fancy to dress in female clothing taken from deserted houses, they may have been a concert party, maybe...

The picture that most of us would reckon to be priceless was of a young soldier posing with his catapult, the caption said E.T.Lawrence, but unless any one knows better it was T.E. for sure!

There where a lot of pages cut out by the censor, which was even more interesting in it's way but not very informative.

Tucked into the back of the book was a cotton reinforced paper, maybe cut off a map, on which he had painted in watercolour, the 360 degree view from one of their gun positions depicting all the main targets along with compass bearings, ranges etc. this folded out to about 18" X 6" from memory, may have been smaller but I only had a short time as I felt guilty for looking but couldn't help myself! I had no time to memorise any details at all, just a quick flick through.

As tactfully as I could I pretended to notice it later and said that it would be interesting to historians but she would have none of it and changed the subject very quickly, I wondered if the cross dressing had something to do with her attitude.

This lady is elderly now and I have no doubt this book will end up on the tip, if it hasn't already, if only digital cameras had been about back then, I would have found a way!

Whe lokking for Holt 75's on Google, i came across this catalogue for a kit 75 engine.

http://www.colespowermodels.com/engines.htm

You will have to scroll down to the bottom.

This chap has made the complete tractor for the engine to sit in:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58883

I wrote an article on Holts for MMI a while back. Did you ever see it?

I love the things and having a ride on the Holt 75 was a major highlight of 2008.

No I never saw your article, what number mag was it in?

That ride was even worth getting told off for incorrect dress then, no wonder you didn't get off!

This chap has made the complete tractor for the engine to sit in:

That's nice, wrong colour for my taste but a good job well done. That answers NOS's question then, the engine does not make enough power at that scale even though he has used a lot of aluminium to keep the weight down.

Go to the lady and beg for the book!

Still not on your way?

The book was very well made which I took to mean that he was a well educated man with time to spare and able to afford a good camera, they were photographs not snaps and good quality too. The water colour painting was also well executed. He would also have somewhere dry and clean to keep his stuff as it was very good condition, one of his family members apparently gave Chequers Court to the nation, which could explain all that.

It is easy to loose someone's custom just by saying one word out of place, even after years, this class of person expects their tradesmen to behave with due deference, as I only worked by recommendation asking again for that book would not be the right thing to do......so sorry, no can do.

That ride was even worth getting told off for incorrect dress then, no wonder you didn't get off!

Whoops. I may have mentioned that before then (maybe just a couple of times)

It was in the June 2008 edition. It is available from here:

http://www.flyingscalemodels.com/mmi/backissues.php

Hope you like it.

Tim

That is fascinating and sad all at the same time. I would love to see it, but as you say it probably will end up on a tip. Tragedy.

I wrote an article on Holts for MMI a while back. Did you ever see it?

I love the things and having a ride on the Holt 75 was a major highlight of 2008.

Tim

There was a good write up in "old glory" of a holt gun tractor tucked away at a farm on the south coast Had a look for the isue but not found it yet

,, There's quite a good write up with some great pictures in Old Glory No.182 April 2005 = 1930 Holt tractor with a large gun turntable + another pic holt pulling two Aveling & Porter crane engines that are pulling a large Vickers gun at 41 tons ,, 15" diameter bore and 56ft long these guns were to guard the entrance to Cartagena ,, pics are from The Military Museum in Catagena ( Museo de Artilleria )

Regards Phil

There was a good write up in "old glory" of a holt gun tractor tucked away at a farm on the south coast Had a look for the isue but not found it yet

,, There's quite a good write up with some great pictures in Old Glory No.182 April 2005 = 1930 Holt tractor with a large gun turntable + another pic holt pulling two Aveling & Porter crane engines that are pulling a large Vickers gun at 41 tons ,, 15" diameter bore and 56ft long these guns were to guard the entrance to Cartagena ,, pics are from The Military Museum in Catagena ( Museo de Artilleria )

Regards Phil

Hi Phil

Yes, i thinki saw that. That particular Holt has been rescued and restored to running condition and in a British military colour scheme. it looks fantastic in the photos i have seen, but i have not seen it in the flesh yet. So there are two WD ones running in the UK.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...