Talking to Veterans

Jack

Ok chaps.

I would like to know your thoughts on how you approach veterans. I usually got a lot to say but I am also very sensitive in certain situation, talking to veterans is one of them, I am stuffed for words. I adore listening to these people but I never too sure what my opening question is going to be or indeed what it should be.

Just because they are at a show or event, am I being presumptuous in thinking that they want to talk about anything to do with war anyway, do they appreciate some stranger coming up to them asking questions. I have many friends who have been in many conflicts, some like to talk about them, some don't. My grandfather hasn't ever been able to talk about the war but my chum who was in the Falklands could.

How do you go about this sensitive subject?

Many thanks

Jack.

Jack. If they come up to your vehicle & let you know they are a veteran, then they want to talk. I just ask when did you serve with these?

The difficulty is that some don't actually recognise your vehicle for what it is & will want to tell you all sorts of nonsense. But acceptance by a genuine vet who knows what your vehicle is all about is the ultimate accolade. Especially if they tell you your vehicle is better turned out than when they had it. The final privelege is to be made a member of their old comrades association & regard your vehicle as a mobile memorial to their pals. It is very humbling.