bedford mk body clamp help

David Ives

Question

8 answers to this question

does anyone know how the radio/workshop bodies clamp onto the rear load decks of a bedford mk/mj and do they have a picture or a part no please:tup::

David,

On the container bodies, there is a instruction plate on the lower side in raised lettering and diagram, showing layout of clamps, they were different between RL and MK/J, this shows the difference.

I've got a very different set for our radio body, they have a much wider base section, a u-shaped bolt that fits over a protrusion on the radio body and a spring between each side of the bolt and a nut that retains the base and spring (the spring held in with a plate). I've attached a pic so you can see what I mean.

(the radio body protrusions have a hole in the top that could be used with the type of clamps sabre showed, but the body wouldn't be held very securely...)

I've got a spare set of four clamps I could be persuaded to part with if they'd fit what you've got, send me a PM.

Stone

clamp1.jpg

OK

From the clamp on the right, you will need 3 or 4 each side

From the clamp on the left, you 'll need 2 each side

As Richard wrote: the id plate will show number and where to put them.

Piet

You need 4 of the clamps on the left which go on each corner and 8 of the clamps on the right, four down each side.

I've got a very different set for our radio body, they have a much wider base section, a u-shaped bolt that fits over a protrusion on the radio body and a spring between each side of the bolt and a nut that retains the base and spring (the spring held in with a plate). I've attached a pic so you can see what I mean.

Hi Stone,

I think your container body is different, with the bollards on the side where your heavy clamps hook over. The previous posts showing section drawing and photos of hook bolts, show that the container overlaped the truck body, there were pins under the overlap to hook the clamps on. I have transfered many of these from RL to MK in the distant past, and seeing the drawing it all came back. So for security, right clamps for right body.

I think your container body is different, with the bollards on the side where your heavy clamps hook over. The previous posts showing section drawing and photos of hook bolts, show that the container overlaped the truck body, there were pins under the overlap to hook the clamps on.

Yep, I realise this. There's a pic in this thread showing the same type of body as we have, but without the bollards - this makes me think they could be shifted between bodies as required (maybe to make stacking them in storage a bit easier?)

The bollards have what looks like a 3/4" hole drilled through the centre - we have a set of aftermarket wheels that we can bolt on through these holes to shove the body around when it's on the ground, but it looks like you might also be able to use the clamps on the right with them.

Totally agree about right clamps for each body, you wouldn't want it coming adrift while cornering! :shake:

Stone