British legion collection in Hooley

Yesterday I took our Spartan to join a small gathering of MV's in Horley (Surrey) to assist with a british legion collection. The weather was clear and sunny (if a little cold out of the sun).

We were joined by 2 half tracks, a recently acquired Dodge weapons carrier, 2 jeeps, a very nice Land Rover 101 ambulance and an ex MP bike.

I spoke to a few vets throughout the day including men who had served in WW2, the Falklands and a man who had driven halftracks in Germany during his national service in 1946-48. Also made an ex-tanky (national service on Centurions) very happy by showing him around the CVRT and starting it up for him.

While fielding the inevitable usual questions about the CVRT (is it a real tank Mr? Can you drive it on the road? Where is the gun?), what did amaze me was how few of todays "yoof" do not know what a red cross means. Many asked where the gun was on the 101 ambulance, and many referred to it as a tank. One particular "yoof", his girlfriend (and baby) really did make me wonder where Darwins theory had gone wrong....

Image001#1.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image004.jpg

Nice little gathering Vince - and for a very worthwhile cause.

Be interesting to find out how much your collection gathered.

In these times and highened knowledge of what soldiers are actually going through- the cash seems to be flowing in the collection tins - and quite right too.

Is that Steves Dodge?

Just a question were you in Horley or Hooley? :???

My bad, was Horley!

Jack, I just tagged along to something that has taken place for the last couple of years. I think the CVRT was offered a couple of years ago and was declined, but I think the number of and type of vehicles displayed has grown slowly and no objections have been raised. It was mostly Surrey IMPS members.

The CVRT lives only 2.5 miles from there, so was a nice little run out. Discovered that the gearbox definitely does have an oil leak so has to come out to be fixed, probably in the spring. While it's out out, I will also fit a correct spec military J60 engine, replace the fan belt tensioner bearing and fit a new radiator.

It's nice to see the MV's getting involved with the Poppy selling,We ( 8 of Us) attended our local shopping center (Solihull) last weekend with 2x Gmc's ,a Dodge a Jeep and the Polsten,after all the "ir...relevant paperwork" was sorted, we spent from 9am to 6 pm without a break and raised £2827.47p which is £461 more than last year,Who said there is a recession !!!!!

todays "yoof" are getting dumber yes granted i am only 21 but i think its safe to say that for every 10 "yoof" there are 3 or 4 youngsters out there wanting to learn i think what depresses me the most is the fact that history that is taught in schools today is dark age stuff there is no modern (post 1900) history been taught anymore

• 3 weeks later...