para bike front frame .

Willyslancs

sounds like what you have is an everest carrier ,it should be a black frame with leather straps attached for fixing to the bike,there are pictures of these on bikes issued to first wave troops prior to D Day but I am not sure how much actual combat use they got,as to value I have seen them from £20 up to £100 for one with it original pack fitted at Beltring this year

Nigel

The carrying frame attached to the front of "Para bikes" is not the Everest frame, that came out well after D day and is a rectangular aluminium frame. The parabike frame is A shaped with a forward facing platform covered in canvas which also folds. I tried to put up some pictures but upload failed?

Edited by Blackpowder44
Picture upload failed

The carrying frame attached to the front of "Para bikes" is not the Everest frame, that came out well after D day and is an aluminium frame. Below is a picture of the Everest frame and two pictures of the parabike frame, note that the parabike frames base folds up.

No pic showing.:coffee:

The carrying frame attached to the front of "Para bikes" is not the Everest frame, that came out well after D day and is a rectangular aluminium frame. The parabike frame is A shaped with a forward facing platform covered in canvas which also folds. I tried to put up some pictures but upload failed?

Having owned a couple of these bikes for a good few years I have spent a fair bit of time trawling the net,speaking to other collectors and visiting museums in search of info and it has always been my understanding that the carriers used on these bikes are everest carriers,it may well be that a later frame is also called the everest carrier .

These carriers can be seen in use by British cmmandos as they prepare and load for the Normandy landings in 1944 on Colin Macgregor Stevens website which credits the pictures to IWM and states that the bikes are fitted with everest carriers.

One thing that is wrong is that during wartime service they were not known as parabikes ,but airborne folding bicycles

regards Nigel

bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/bsa_historic.htm this is a link to a very good site showing history of airborne bikes and atating that the carriers fitted are indeed everest carriers,I am not sure that the name necessary has anything to do with the mountain but may be the name of the manufacturer or designer

Nigel

One thing you have also got wrong, Mt. Everest wasnt conquered until 1953 by Hillary.The back packs they used were the aluminium army frame ones. That is why they are called everest frames.

John,

The name "Everest" was used for these carriers, in an official War Office publication back in 1944. This predates the Hillary ascent in 1953.

Here is proof, go to page 17 of the pdf ;

www.weapons.org.uk/smallarmstraining/downloads/uk/wtm07.pdf

Richard

Richard, after reading your post I have to admit I was wrong. All these yeare I allways understood the facts to be as I posted. On looking up Wireless stations No. 62 for something quite unrelated to this thread I found this diagram of the fittings carried in a Jeep. Note Everest carrier on the top rear. John.

The War Office publication is dated April 1945

80 watt charging set 001.jpg