Who is the most iconic RAF figure of World War Two?

Park82

Here at the RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) we are holding a poll to find the most iconic RAF figure of World War Two. To vote please visit:

http://www.rafbf90.org.uk

The poll is featured on our special 90th anniversary website, “90 Faces of the RAFBF”, which features 90 stories about our history, fundraisers and supporters.

If you visit you can listen to Winston Churchill's famous 1951 radio appeal on behalf of the RAFBF, watch videos of beneficiaries and serving RAF personnel describe how we help, and learn about the enormous support we enjoy among the RAF family.

Obviously being iconic has nothing to do with merit or popularity within the service or as a whole.

Douglas Bader

Arthur Harris

and Guy Gibson all stand out by miles - as would Leonard Cheshire in better informed times. Bader must be number one by dint of his powerful personality and Paul Brickhill's book. Gibson is something of an enigma, but I've always admired him, even if he was fairly unpleasant. Harris remains massive.

Cheshire is probably the most complete - but he didn't desire fame at all.

After that you have perhaps the two most wronged British men of the air war - Dowding and Park.

Good question. It'll be interesting to see how this thread grows.

All of them are iconic in their own right - but I had to vote for Douglas Bader if only for his spirit!!!

I will no doubt get jankers for this what the hell I did 64 days and spent time in the Pokie !! so here goes.

I met Bader at Scampton at the formation of Strike Command ceremony , my sister in law was on the officers mess staff at Bentley round about the same time ; he used to frequent all the do's we both agree he is the most arrogant and ill mannerred man we have ever met. Spirited yes, brave yes; But his influence on the tactics of the BoB actually were a hindrance to 11 group and did nothing to contribute to the victory .

I also met Cheshire and Barnes Wallis on the same day; both unassuming and absolute gentlemen.

The most iconic was AC2 Smith who worked in all weathers to refuel , arm, fix and see off the kites wether it was Spits & hurris in the BoB , Typhoons on an ALG around D Day or at one of the bomber Command stations.

TED

I have to say the day I was lucky enough to meet Douglas Barder he was an absolute gentleman, and kindness itself. Yes I know he had a reputation, but he was very detrmined and never gave in. Such detrmination can be read as arrogance. Yes, I am defending him, when I met him , life for me was not good. He gave me good advice, 'You know when what you do is good. Never let anyone tell you it isn't.

Bader was inspirational. But he was also a nightmare - but this fact made him the great man he was. But great doesn't always mean pleasant. I always idolised Gibson when I was kid, but he had a fair slice of prejudiced small man syndrome about him and didn't have many real friends. Cheshire is the one. He was pure class.

I agree with Ted about the quiet icons. I was standing in a queue at Tescos a few years ago and struck up a conversation with an old man and his wife. She had her arm in a sling and was struggling a bit and I behaved like a gentleman for once and helped them. He was a Bomber Command air gunner, one of the anonymous ones living out the remainder of his life with quiet dignity. Nuff said.

I don't know about quiet dignity. A friend of mine tells a story about one night driving a bus in London. A well dresed elderly man and his wife got on a sat down. At the next stop a drunk young *** also got on and stated abusing all and sundry. The next thing was the drunk came down the bus, on his back, slamming hard up by the doors. A quiet voice said 'Driver, can you stop and open the doors?'. which was done. Drunk then went out doors still on his back. When doors were shut and the bus on its way, the elderly gent said to my mate. 'I didn't jump at Arnhem to have some thug abuse my wife'. Just proves what they say about Para's. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for your votes in our poll to find the most iconic RAF figure of World War Two. At the moment Air Chief Marshal Dowding leads the pack, with Bader, Harris and Gibson following on close behind.

This poll has led to some great discussion about what constitutes an iconic figure, and plenty of debate about the merits of certain candidates, so we have decided to leave the poll open until the end of the year.

Please do cast your vote if you haven’t already, we would love to hear your views.

http://www.rafbf90.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

The vote to find the most iconic RAF figure of World War Two is gathering pace. Air Marshal Dowding continues to lead but Bader is close behind, while Gibson and Harris are very nearly neck and neck.

However, the vote remains closely fought, so please do visit

www.rafbf90.org.uk

and make your choice if you haven’t already – every vote counts!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have cast their votes on the most iconic RAF figure of World War Two. The online poll has been very popular so we are keeping it open until the end of January.

So there’s still time to give your opinion – every vote counts!

http://www.rafbf90.org.uk/

At the moment Air Chief Marshal Dowding leads the pack, with Bader, Harris and Gibson following on close behind.

The game is hosted on the RAF Benevolent Fund’s special 90th anniversary microsite, “90 Faces of the RAF Benevolent Fund”. The microsite is full of stories and anecdotes about the charity, the people we help and our supporters. Please do have a look around the site after placing your vote, and learn more about the RAF’s leading welfare charity.