Tyres?

ACH

Question

I need some better tyres for my RL, currently it's on 11.00R20 bar grips. But I've been offered some 12.00R20s, would these fit with minimum effort? I assume there's not that much difference between the two.

15 answers to this question

They should be ok - My Autocar came home on 12x20s but I changed them for 11x20s (rims seemed to be right ones for 11s). Surprisingly the 12s looked a fair bit more bulbous on the same rims given the small increase in width - the tyre companies usually give a range of rim widths which are acceptable for a specific tyre size so you can check to be certain. (Next week looking better for steering job).

I would have thought you should be OK. As mentioned, rims are supposed to take a small variety of tyre sizes with the same diameter rim. LW Vass have the MOD tyre contract and can supply brand new tyres. Bare in mind the bar grips are crossply and the new Good Years are Radial.

Thanks for the input, I like to hear other people's opinions before I rashly go out and buy some more tot!

I've looked at the ones on Witham's site 12.00x20 Goodyears, look like they're on MT rims? If you buy direct they're £75.00 plus VAT and carriage each, or I could chance the auction. Equally there's been a chap flogging them on Ebay for £30 each but he was well up north and he was collection only.

Anybody had experience with Witham's auctions? A couple of weeks ago they had some rather nice twin axle cargo trailers (next project replacement caravan).

Does your RL have power steering? My dad nearly bought some 1200's for his QL, that was untill he saw the width of them, they seemed a lot wider than the 1100's. It doesn't sound much bigger, but they are, i think when you see them in the rubber you might have second thoughts.

when you say your looking for better tyres, do you mean grip wise?

Edited by rippo

I just want some tyres that are legal, ideally radials, the Goodyears seemed a good option but I think I would like to see some before I fork out some money.

Yes the RL will have power steering, just got to decide which route to go down, having a look at NOS's Beford for ideas.

You said VASS have the contract to supply the MOD, their 1200-20's, assuming they are radials, being modern tyres, do you have any idea of the tread pattern, and do you reckon they'd be ok on my Mk 5 Saracen, am hoping the tread pattern it Trak-grip, or at least Bar-grip style.....but would really like Trak-Grip

cheers

I am looking to replace two of the tyres on my RL but I am thinking of doing away with the bar grips altogether as I have found in the wet on tarmac and especially in the snow on tarmac they are dreadful ,I am sure a few motorists have nightmares after seeing me come around a corner sideways towards them .

With 4WD only in low range and a deep dislike being evident of being in low on the road too long ,the journey home was , well, exciting.