Mystery Object No.112

fv1609

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of those gas producer units, across the back of a truck cab, with cab to left and leading edge of body to the right.

They did all sorts of this stuff, basically burning (charcoal?) in a low-oxygen environment to give off hydrocarbon gas which would run the truck.

Or - something totally different......:sweat:

Canal Defence Light. Go on give us a clue, is a spark generator? In that case it could be a , stuff it I'm thinking caldera, that's a volcano. Early radio kit sounds similar?

No, no, no, getting warm(!) but see new clue in a few minutes.

Is it meant to be like that or has it been sectioned for training purposes?

Shown with the door open. I have posted a better picture now

Photo looks to around the early 1900's??
Nope

Maybe a field laundry unit??
Nope

Some kind of burner for an observation hot air ballon? What looks like a coil tube suggests something being heated to be vapourised before ignition? Not sure that the lower part fits in with this though.

It certainly has that coily similarity but nope.

No it's not a Tesla coil. I don't know Oudin, is that the same thing?

But you are on the right lines it is an electrical coil.

The device is a high frequency current generator which uses the principles of electrical resonant circuits. It produces an antinode of high potential. The high-voltage, self-regenerative resonant transformer has the bottom end of the primary and secondary coils connected together and firmly grounded.

Oudin coils generate high voltages at high frequency. Oudin coils produce smaller currents than other disruptive discharge coils (such as the later version of the Tesla coil). The Oudin coil is modified for greater safety.

Some sort of "Flash Gordon" capacitor type thingy...

Sorry missed that. It slipped in between me replying. Not a capacitor nor a scifi item. This was an advanced system for its time, undergoing trials.