New bit of Bovington

Managed to get down there in August when on holiday. Fantastic museum, had a great day out. Last time I was there was about 1973!! (still have the guide book).

We were staying near Yoevil and had a fantastic time, some great museums.

Fleet Air Arm Museum - one of the best aircraft museums i`ve been to, well thought out and the carrier deck experience was great.

Helicopter Museum - Not got the funding of the FAA but a great collection run by passionate enthusiasts.

Tank Museum - Superd displays that show the developments in tank warfare so well. Great WW1 collection that has a family connection for me ( I will post when i have all the facts)

Fort Nothe at Weymouth - Great and varied display, though the high light was the matchstick fleet on display. Over 100 war ships made entirely from matchsticks and matchboxes. The detail was fantastic including aircraft and vehicles in landing craft.

Also managed to call in at Cosford for the Cold War Museum on the way home.

Not bad for a weeks family holiday!!:-D

Jerry

Edited by jerry.ice
missing word

Was their on Sunday as the Sussex area of the MVT had a coach trip to the musuem. very enjoyable day out will go again. As we were the only coach party there they opened the WW1 Mk4 tank and the cheiftain so we could sit inside we also got a tour, unfortunatly the would'nt let any of use have the keys or show us the starting proceeder for the chieftain as many of us wanted to bring it home. The coach driver didn't want to tow it even thought he had decided on one of the white Mark 2 ferrets there which he said would just fit in the lockers on the coach.

Has Bovingdon still got a ban on publishing photographs and video taken in the museum? :-D

Depends upon what you call publishing. I took a series of photographs when I was there before the new part opened and put them as a 'vitrual tour' on my website. I let them know and they haven't said that they disapproved. However, I did say to them that it is a service I offer free of charge to museums that I visit and that the photographs are only used on that site and are not available commercially. I also sent them a full cd of the images.