Swinbrook MV gathering and road run

The North Oxfordshire and Cotswolds MVT have an annual gathering each year which is combined with a road run to places of local interest and a barbecue/booze up on the Saturday night. This year it was held in the memory of David King who tragically passed away after a long illness.

In all we had about 30 vehicles and their owners join us from a cross the region and much further afield (the furthest coming from Norfolk).

The first stop on our road run was Broadwell airfield which was used to fly paratroopers and gliders in Normandy and at Arnhem.

IMG_4771.jpg

The control tower is still accessible although not in the best of condition.

IMG_4781.jpg

The stairs look a bit dodgy though:

IMG_4785.jpg

One of the three runways is very much still intact - all 1.5 miles of it (albeit with a road going over the middle).

IMG_4772.jpg

The Jeep is in about the centre of the runway.

IMG_4773.jpg

Edited by Minesweeper

On the way to the next airfield we stopped off at this small village which has a unique WW1 memorial:

IMG_4792.jpg

A hand from the clock on the Ypres Cloth Hall set in stone. Never seen anything quite like it before.

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

AT this stage of the day we had 24 vehicles in convoy. While travelling down one very narrow lane we ran into a combine harvester, which caused great fun, but we all managed to get by after about 10 minutes. We then formed up for a group photo.

IMG_4799.jpg

The next stop was a loveley country pub - The Victoria Arms where we parked up and took lots of photos:

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

Also at the pub were a bunch of Riflemen just back from Afghanistan. When they saw that we were collecting for Help the Heroes they came to have their photos taken.

IMG_4811.jpg

Then it was on to the RAF site at Macaroni Woods. A great number of buildings still survive (some having an industrial use - others are lived in). We couldnt stop, but took some photos as we drove around:

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

Just down the road from the buildings is the airfield. Interestingly (well to people like us), the control tower and buildings were well camouflaged and built to look like a farm house. This is the control tower (really):

IMG_4822.jpg

With a concrete plaque on the side:

IMG_4827.jpg

With a double Norcott (Norcrete?) pill box across the yard:

IMG_4829.jpg

SOme war time grafitti inside:

IMG_4832.jpg

Back to the control tower again

IMG_4835.jpg

There are about 18 pill boxes/bunkers around the field like this one:

IMG_4836.jpg

Interestingly, although i logged Tony out and logged myself in these posts are coming up as made in Tonys name. Nevermind.

Anyway, we gave out several awards at the barbecue including this one for most interesting vehicle.

IMG_4856.jpg

We also went to Bibury airfield on the Saturday, but i missed out on that. On Sunday we set out in convoy to Enstone airfield

IMG_4857.jpg

Which was used to train bomber pilots. One runway survives and is used by a flying club. Some hangars survive but the buildings are disappearing fast:

IMG_4861.jpg

The club laid on a barbecue for us and drinks in their bar. It was a very sunny afternoon and we had a leisurely time before heading for home:

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

Tim (too)

Edited by Minesweeper

Yes it was a real chillout, lovely atmosphere at the cricket club barby and the one at Enstone airfield on the Sunday.

Thought the Austin K6 was interesting as I'd not seen one before.

My daughter managed to hitch a lift with both Tim & John & enjoyed playing with her Amphibious Assault Craft!

DSC04767.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

Soph croc.jpg

Is that style of control tower unique?

I think that it is. As the airfield is in the Thames Valley and was considered an ideal landing place for German glider troops in the planned invasion they went out of the way to camouflage it and also protect it from attack. It is a fascinating location.

Tim (too)

Strange that. Not sure what happened there. If my understanding is correct the Champ Camp bet us a bottle of Scotch that they could get more Champs there than every other sort of MV put together. Well, i think there was about 9 Champs and 16 of everything else, so the Scotch should have come to me. However, every time i raised the subject Mr Plumb said that there were more Champs still on their way. I left the matter for later on and then before i knew it everyone had gone. So, i am uncertain as to where we stand. Perhaps you could raise it with Mr Plumb at the Champ Camp AGM?

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...
Did Brian win a bottle of Scotch?

I have just received some further information on this subject. I am currently awaiting photographic evidence to prove this but i understand that some certain Champ owners have not been exactly playing fair.

Jack warned me about you Champ owners! I wish i had listened to his sound advice!

Tim (too)

Edited by Great War truck