Original or Repro?

HeathJr

Yesterday I picked up a 1st Allied Airborne Army patch from a local surplus shop and I'm wondering if it's an original or a repro. Doing some research I've found out that its a British made version but is different from the others I've found online. So does anyone know if I have picked up an original or a repro?

Photo0055.jpg

Photo0056.jpg

Cheers Guys,

Chris

Having had an original one until a few years ago (been in family since WW2) this one looks repro and new- the writing and lower blue part looks different and my one had the rear threads incorporated within a layer of backing and not completely through it.

Hope it helps

Gary

Bodge - When you say it glows do you mean under UV and what parts?

Jack - Sorry I won't be making the Victory Show as I can't get there but if you have his details I can email the pics to him.

What I have found out is that the British versions differ slightly from each other and there aren't many of either originals or repros. However even if it is a repro I'm not particularly worried as it only cost me £3.99. The reason I'm asking is that from the same shop a couple of months ago I picked up a very rare US 2nd Cavalry Div SSI green back for £5 when it's worth £40.

well i would be very careful if they selling badges worth £40 for a £5!....(shops tend to know what they are selling)

Don't count on it!! Most dealers have a very narrow field of 'expertise'

One of the dealers i regularly haunt has little or no idea about WWII stuff ...

An original D-Day leaflet for £5

A collection of US Garrison Caps (9 in all) including an Airborne Artillery Enlisted with original Glider/AB patch... £20 the lot!

About 6 different propaganda leaflets (allied ones dropped on the Axis and vice versa) £3 each!!!

& Yeah UV light... older patches don't glow under UV light whereas the threads and materials in modern ones do (by no means definitive but a good starting point)

But for my money it looks crappily made enough to be original & you're right, there are dozens of variations of the same design, british made, 'theatre made' bullion etc etc

Consistency was not an issue during WWII ;)

Joe public dont always know what they have. i remember years ago someone buying a car mascot off someone who swore blind it was a rolls royce, turned out to be a lalique!

it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time .......

I agree with you bodge on consistency , got some ww1 us badges on uniforms they are worse ....

there are bargains to be had , got most of our us ww2 stuff years ago when not much call from it (container loads of friend in florida who was doing garage sales )

Edited by Willyslancs

Cheers guys, the patch does glow but only the yellow thread... After checking some of my originals they glow too, the white thread backing and white embroidery.

Anyway if the 1st Airborne Army patch is a repro I'm not all that bothered it's an addition to my (small) collection and as I said in my earlier post it only cost me £3.99.

The trick is you know what it's worth. 1944 dated US ammo box, perfect nick £1 at a boot sale. Brand new Tilley Gaurdsman Lantern used by railways and military, £5 , don't know if it works mate. Well a £1.50 mantle and it did. Then again you get junk that people ask a fortune for and siome numpty pays it! :-D

Yeah UV light... older patches don't glow under UV light whereas the threads and materials in modern ones do (by no means definitive but a good starting point)

;)

Remember that if washed in modern detergent/ powders it may also glow white in UV light.

Ashley