Bedford oil pressure

No Signals

Question

Bedford 28hp. There must be something I'm missing (apart from the pressure). I've just had to have the distributor off to sort it out and now it is refitted the pressure is zero. I've checked the obvious ones like locating the 'dog' and the rivet between the dist. shaft and the drive gear having sheared. However everything seems as it should be. But still no pressure, neither on the light nor the guage which tends to rule out a fault having coincidentally occured on one of them. Both of them no. So any ideas chaps?

8 answers to this question

Bedford 28hp. There must be something I'm missing (apart from the pressure). I've just had to have the distributor off to sort it out and now it is refitted the pressure is zero. I've checked the obvious ones like locating the 'dog' and the rivet between the dist. shaft and the drive gear having sheared. However everything seems as it should be. But still no pressure, neither on the light nor the guage which tends to rule out a fault having coincidentally occured on one of them. Both of them no. So any ideas chaps?

When you removed the distributor, you would have removed the locating screw and locknut (upper one). Did you by any chance remove the lower one as well? If so the pump might have dropped enough for the dog not to mesh with the drive gear.

When you removed the distributor, you would have removed the locating screw and locknut (upper one). Did you by any chance remove the lower one as well? If so the pump might have dropped enough for the dog not to mesh with the drive gear.

Good point Richard, but no not to my knowledge. But obviously it is something I can check if all else fails. I've never disturbed it but that doesnt go for other previous owners. Maybe over a period of time it has gradually crept down.

Good point Richard, but no not to my knowledge. But obviously it is something I can check if all else fails. I've never disturbed it but that doesnt go for other previous owners. Maybe over a period of time it has gradually crept down.

Perhaps the screw was not located properly in the pump in the past, but in the process of refitting the distributor, the pump has dropped.

Perhaps the screw was not located properly in the pump in the past, but in the process of refitting the distributor, the pump has dropped.

Good call that one Richard, just what had happened. I wouldn't have thought of that in a month of Sundays. Thanks a lot! (still hate sump gaskets though, they dont get any better with practise:-D)

Good call that one Richard, just what had happened. I wouldn't have thought of that in a month of Sundays. Thanks a lot! (still hate sump gaskets though, they dont get any better with practise:-D)

It was better it happened now, rather than dropping out of mesh whilst driving, that would have been expensive.

I had a similar problem after rebuilding a late 27hp engine for my WS recently. It turned out that there was a slight gap between the dist. base and the vac. adv. bracket. I doubt the pump has dropped, unless you have used a lot of force on the dizzy, as the oil pipes are more than hefty enough to hold the pump in place without the locating setscrew. Before you remove the sump, measure the distance from the pump dog to the face of the dizzy aperture and compare it to the dizzy flange and dog. Also, check that you don't have any air leaks at the oil strainer. Could save a lot of unnecessary work and bad language!

Rhett.