Tents

paul connor

I am afraid it is Paul, I think it must be a market forces thing - supply and demand.

I have seen the plastic to ones made from the same material as Gazebos but still commanding a strong price.

we have got a 12 x 12 and love it. i call it my summer bungalow, it is great for having people round at a show & ours is fitted out with a gas fridge, gas oven & hob, double bed (comfort), a wardrobe area with clothes hanging up on a rail, a table & chairs & a spare table to use as a bedside cabinet

i do know of 2 for sale at the moment so pm me if you want phone numbers, 2nd hand ones are a lot cheaper & if you want to buy from a supplier then b grade is cheaper than a grade & is just as good.

i can't bring myself to sell mine even though i have got the jimmy now as there are still a few shows like Kemble,North nibley & Beltring where i want some comforts.

go on buy one they are a good investment & don't lose any money.

cheers

berni

Paul. I got a couple of 12 x 12's complete with alloy frames, if you're interested. Good A1 condition, with good end panels.

Also have a good 12 x 12 but without pole set or spiders, just the canvas and end panels. Could do a deal.

P.M. me if you're interested. I,m in Portsmouth, and attending Overlord, if that helps.

Paul,

Here is a 7x7 tent on ebay with bids starting around £31 - that the seller says is ex-British Army and dating from 1968 - though to my knowledge the British Army never had Camo tents at that time. Probably Clive will know best!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-BRITISH-ARMY-RIDGE-TENT-DATED-1968_W0QQitemZ6629805249QQcategoryZ36077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BritishArmyTentc1968.jpg

Looks authentic, J1 8340-99-120-2985 Tent, Ridge Type, was listed as being in service in 1973. The details are:

7ft 8in wide

7ft 4in long

6ft 0in high

2ft 6in wall height

56 sq ft floor area

2.5 cu ft packed size

20lb weight of complete tent

Erection 2 men - 10 mins

Striking 2 men - 5 mins

The only thing is the top cross bar does not appear in service photos, this may be a civilian adaptation as you can see the tent ridge sags. This maybe is not helped as the main 4 guys are not in their proper position.

[

The only thing is the top cross bar does not appear in service photos, this may be a civilian adaptation as you can see the tent ridge sags. This maybe is not helped as the main 4 guys are not in their proper position.

Isn't it supposed to be inside :?:

i've got one of these as well & the pole does go inside. we can sleep 2 easy but not much room for anything else unless you are very tidy & put the beds away during the day. for 1 it is ideal as everything can be left set out, mine is just plain green though.

it can be put up with 1 person ( girl guide training), mind you a 12 x 12 with 2 people is quicker, more roomy but more expensive. the plus side is you don't need grass, a few sand bags round the skirts hold it in place on concrete.

work out how many times a year you are going to use a tent, how many people will sleep in it, how much storage room have you got & have you got the room to transport it with all your other kit as well.

of course it also depends if the price is right.

ta

berni

Its purpose is described as "Lightweight Accomodation" in 1973 Catalogue of Tents & Shelters in Service & Under Development. This is the purpose stated in JSP 361 Joint Service Handbook of Tentage 1981. But it states that its role was to be taken over by Tent GP 7' x 9' J1 8340-99-120-8579

Paul,

You could go for a 9x9 Command Tent, if it's to be used by one or two people. They are on ebay occasionally for £250 - £300

One up there now - see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-9X9-COMMAND-TENT-LANDROVER-Grd1_W0QQitemZ180000136148QQcategoryZ36077QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Starting bid of £350 or a "buy it now" of £450 - free postage!!

What do the Army use to stick then on with?

In the 1971 "Instructions for the repair of tentage & covers waterproof" patches are to be sewn on. The 1981 manual on tentage says they should be returned to RAOC for repair.

I repaired an old 9x9 with patches that were held on by springling some powder stuff under the patch then ironing it on. So maybe a haberdashery shop would have something like that.

I have got a 9ftx7ft tent ex British Army 1950's fair condition that

the kids used, colour army plain green simple A shape, they now

have a 9ftx9ft because they needed more room for all the junk

they have price £50.oo. plus postage or collect

Commander