PW British army dump trucks

les freathy

About time we started a thread on this subject to cover all types used since 1945, 3 shots of the Haulmatic to kick off

Les,

An awful thing :shake:.......my favourite was the Aveling Barford, which was actually built by Thornycroft, and the last ones, Scammell.......afraid no photos, but guess you have :)

Oooooh............... this is too much......... I want one of these too. Having a tipping body is good......... having a crane better still......... having a plant trailer with a Muir Hill loading shovel on it........ the icing on the cake.

Tell ya what else I want............... a bloo*y great win on the lottery too, to finance my wild dreams. Perhaps I should go halves with Andy Fowler on the winning lottery ticket if he ever gets it. If he wins I'll gladly give him 50p towards the winning ticket, and he can give me half the winnings. :-D WHAAT NOW......... I don't see a problem with that; it's a reasonable offer.... :-D

Les,

An awful thing :shake:.......my favourite was the Aveling Barford, which was actually built by Thornycroft, and the last ones, Scammell.......afraid no photos, but guess you have :)

I thought these started out as AEC LD55 15 Yd Dumper, and the other brandings followed.

Edited by antarmike

I thought these started out as AEC LD55 15 Yd Dumper, and the other brandings followed.

Mike,

The model number LD55 did not come along until everything was rebranded with the Leyland badge. It was originally the AEC 690 Dumptruk, with AV690 engine. The first army ones appeared in early 1970's, cab and chassis built by Thornycroft, but carrying the Aveling Barford badge, this also had the 690 engine and I am sure it was still refered to as a 690 Dumptruk ( on its data plate ). A second contract came along and they were refered to as 760 Dumptruk, still carrying the Aveling badge, but built by Scammell, with the 760 engine.

The 1977 Leyland Scammell Military Specials sales brochure showed in-service army Dumptruks clearly altered to show Leyland badges.

These were a favourite of mine and a pleasure to work on.....and drive, with the gearlever straight into the top of the box. Had to rebuild several engines where rods had come through the block.

AEC dump truck with painted out bridge plate. Could this be an ex Army AEC dumper? Comments welcomed

Mike,

Rather unlikely to have been an ex-army one as they were never badged as AEC. This vehicle does not have the towing hook on the front bumper and also a different air cleaner, the army models had a large Cyclopac filter (on the nearside) that had compressed air blasting at intervals through it.

To answer your previous post, the last model designation, LD55, was also 10 yard dumptruck, if fitted with the quarry body ( as army ones), if a coal body was fitted, capacity was 20 yard. These were struck capacities, if heaped, they were 12 and 24 respectively.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

There is an RL Dumper in the John Mould collection near Reading. It's not painted up as Military, but it still has it's Military plates on the body. Saw it last year when I went with an organised visit.

P9271488.jpg

Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, the camera was playing up.

Edited by woa2