Mystery Object No.92

fv1609

:idea: Right..........before my era, but a wild guess. Is it a cannon ball, which ,when fired makes a screaming noise due to the holes in it.......to put the fear of G.. up the enemy ? :confused:

Well the old magic is still there.

Is it a cannon ball, :
Yes, pretty much.

when fired makes a screaming noise due to the holes in it.......to put the fear of G.. up the enemy ? :confused:
Nope they have other purposes.

clive,

some sort of torture device for the nether regions :-D

regards

Graham, yes I think it would be painful but impractical as the spheres are rather large for that sort of nethering thing.

As the holes appear to be threaded are they to take some type of fuse or flammable material?

Degsy I don't think they are threaded, but you are correct the holes are for all manner of inflammable & generally unpleasant things. Well done, so you have won.

Richard seemed to be there then he gave up, maybe its beans on toast night & he can't get back on.

App1287.jpg

I think the sphere is completely hollow, and thin walled, it is for use at night and contains a scary cat, hence the feline eyes peering out through the front.

Ah yes now you have said it I can see the oriental cats eyes. Interesting range of things that can be read into the drawing which never occurred to me as I start off knowing the answer of course.

Well done Degsy.........Clive, I got waylaid with a long phonecall, no beans on toast tonight, :nono:

Thanks Richard, somewhere in the back of my mind I'd been thinking about incendiary devices so when you said cannon balls and Clive said yes that tipped the balance. I probably wouldn't have said anything otherwise so we'll share the prize money:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can anyone explain how the "broken glass" listed as part of the possible contents of this hollow ball, has any part in an incendiary device, or how it helps to set a building on fire???

I think this curious weapon was basically a multi-role delivery system depending on how beastly you wanted to be to your enemy and whether you had enough gunpowder, turps, broken glass etc available with the option to improvise.

What particularly intrigued me was loading it with pistol barrels.

Whatever payload was chosen certainly a versatile & perhaps unpredictable device.

Is it the old problem again, Degsy ? :shake: :-D

Old is about right Richard:-D and the old saying about hard work never killed anyone.......well that may be right but they omitted to say that it completely knackers you:sweat: