M16

chevpol

I thought they were referred to as "Two-One" & "Two-Two" not 21st & 22nd:confused: not forgetting "Two-Three"

Correct sir!! :)

All three regiments are ALWAYS referred to in numeric form only. And, in a rare occurrence the senior regiment is the lowest number, in this case one of the Reserve units. Not sure about these days but in my time the correct designations were:

21 SAS®

22 SAS

23 SAS®

At the time the usual denominator for TA units was (VR).....

wrongly or rightly i've always reffered to them as 22nd!

Incorrect I'm afraid and a habit worth breaking as I've known those who would happily have bounces things off you for so doing. It's been known to be considered a grievous insult.....

TBH - I have never heard any mention of 23 before :confused: :computerrage:

23 SAS® is the Northern equivalent of 21 SAS® Jack. The dividing line was - in my day - Birmingham.

Birmingham and all points North were the recruiting grounds for 23 SAS®.

Anywhere south of Birmingham were the recruiting grounds for 21 SAS®

If you listened to the news a month or two ago 23 sadly lost 3 men out in Afghanistan.

The operational roles differed too - 21 was Long Range Reconnaissance whereas the role of 23 was CSAR (Combat Search And Recovery). Both units were also into Psy-Ops and "Hearts & Minds" efforts. And both units were well versed in the "mean and sneaky tricks" department.....

23 SAS® is the Northern equivalent of 21 SAS® Jack. The dividing line was - in my day - Birmingham.

Birmingham and all points North were the recruiting grounds for 23 SAS®.

Anywhere south of Birmingham were the recruiting grounds for 21 SAS®

Thanks Neil and now didn't even know that the MOD recruited geographicaly either!!

No probs Jack!! :)

I suppose it could be argued that it's not the MoD recruiting either - the chain of command for the three regiments bypasses them thus:

Regimental O/C

D(SAS)

PM & Cabinet War Council

The Sovereign

Everything between D(SAS) and the PM is always a bit of a grey area..............

Hi there

As a new member maybe i should have introduced myself first, but didnt have time and i saw this post.

Yes the RAF Regiment were issued M16 in the 80,s when they served with the Americans at Greenham Common the unit was the 501

Chris

thats interesting, thank you. I have seen photos on the net taken at Greenham, never thought to look at them again,.

Cheers

Mark