Jack

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Here is a picture of the Sherman outside the Wings Of liberation Museum at best, near Eindhoven. Taken May 2009.

The guy that did the radio restorations at the museum had bought three engines and generators from us at the Nuenen engine show, and we delivered them to the Museum with our vehicle and trailer.

The Museum has quite a large collection of vehicles, not all of which are on Display, we were lucky to be be invited to look around the Radio Room at the various bits of kit that they had bought and restored.

ShermanBest1.jpg

The radio room shots are here:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Nuenen2009/Nuenen2009Menu7.htm

and on menu page 8, links at the bottom of each menu page.

Peter

The Wings of Liberation museum is well worth a visit. Most of the vehicles in the museum have been restored into running condition, apart from the Sherman in the picture, which is just a gutted shell.

I also met the radio guy (his name eludes me) and he showed me around his treasures. Among them a working Lancaster radio set up.

Goran N

Wings-of-Liberation-museum_20110602_3225.jpg

Wings-of-Liberation-museum_20110602_3227.jpg

Edited by GoranWC51

The Wings of Liberation museum is well worth a visit. Most of the vehicles in the museum have been restored into running condition, apart from the Sherman in the picture, which is just a gutted shell.

I also met the radio guy (his name eludes me) and he showed me around his treasures. Among them a working Lancaster radio set up.

Goran N

Jan Hulleman

Peter

That's a rather silly price, I brought my new copy last year (or the year before?) for £50 from a Military book shop in Leicester.

Actually, people are prepared to pay hundreds, see http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=hunnicutt&sts=t&tn=sherman&x=0&y=0

A reprint became available a few years back. Maybe your copy is one of those? Otherwise you got yourself a bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a picture of myself standing in front of west point museum in the state of new york while on a training program with u.s. forces in 2003

I must apologies for the quality its a picture of a picture

DSC02209.jpg

Here is a link of the actual Sherman M4A3E8

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/WestPointMilitaryMuseum/ShermanTank/index.htm

Edited by northrecce

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

very interesting thread this one...:-)

.having looked at all the photos and read the posts I'd like to ask what the Sherman was generally like 'off road'?

...the standard (sort of) Sherman track with the rubber 'road pads' doesn't look as though it would be very good off road and it does also look very narrow..????

.the steel version with no pad and a sort of a 'V' shaped grouser looks like it would perform a bit better though..????..

..... and the later much wider track (like on the Sherman outside of the Utah museum) with the pronounced 'V' grouser starts to look like the real deal.......???

so .....did the tracks make much difference ?........and what in general was their off road performance like????

Also..... I would imagine if the Sherman was a bulldozer model then the 'rubber pad' type of track would be next to useless off road? can't imagine they would give a lot of traction with no grousers at all????

anyways.............enlighten me please !

"Ta" in advance !!!!

PS: Mind you .....although they look much more 'serious ' ,,,,,,,I guess the later type of 'full steel grouser' track isn't very desirable for a restoration vehicle though??.....can't see many towns or Rallies etc wanting you tearing their tarmac and grass all to hell?.......

Edited by RattlesnakeBob