My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

My Jeep got its new feet on today, after five years with its French Kleber tyres. Got all the rims cleaned up and tyres on, but discovered a fuel leak on the tank that really needs a replacement tank fitting. Did a temporary bodge to get back home from my mates garage as I was using their tyre takeroff/putteron tool.

With the afternoon taken up by fixing the tank, the actually planned jobs of a new brake pressure switch, fuel pump seal kit and bleeding the brakes has been put off until tomorrow.

bargrips1.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks! I've seen the first two before, but the bottom one is new to me.

Bodge also sent me a Dodge picture a few days ago. It showed a post war WC51, modified with a Flying Control body, possibly from the Korean War. The design wasn't quite the same as mine, but it shows that WC51's have been used in this role.

I'm quite interested in the aircraft in the picture. It looks like an AESL Airtourer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airtourer ), which was a light aircraft designed and built in Australia. The prototype flew for the first time in 1959, and it was produced between 1962-82. If it is an Airtourer, it dates the picture, but also begs the question what was it doing on a USAF base, or what was the US vehicle doing in Australia?

• 6 months later...

I saw this stencilling on another F/C Jeep a couple of years ago at the Rougham Airshow, and thought it looked good, telling myself I must add it to 'Jessie'. Two years later, an hour or so cutting the stencil, and another half an hour with a paint brush, it was done.

fc31.jpg

fc32.jpg

fc33.jpg

Something else I wanted to add was a sign I'd seen on another wartime Follow Me Jeep, the 'Plane Taxiing' notice. I presume this was a general warning to flight line personnel to keep clear as a plane was likely to be following.

fc34.jpg

fc35.jpg

fc36.jpg

Another addition is this lamp to illuminate the perimeter track behind the Jeep for following aircraft. It was originally fitted to the roof of the Dodge, but didn't seem appropriate, so was removed. I saw a wartime Jeep with a similar lamp fitted, so made use of the lamp which has been sitting around in a cupboard for two years. It is wired into the rest of the light board, and comes on with the Jeep headlights, though it has an independant switch so it can be turned off.

fc37.jpg

fc38.jpg