My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

Only 1/2 inch long, here's the beginnings of my BC348 radio that is mounted on the other side of the Jeep to the crate. The little square pieces are about 3/4 mm square and have been glued on first prior to trimming into circular forms to represent the dials on the real radio. Gluing them first was the only way they could be held still for trimming.

jeep_11.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Here's the early stages of the light board and follow me sign. Both parts were scanned before gluing, and the scanned rectangles became a template to create the arrows and text on a computer. These were then printed out on thin paper which would later be attached with double sided tape.

jeep_20.jpg

The engine bay was next to receive attention. When my real Jeep was first built, it was 6 volt with a single battery. It was later converted to 12 volts with a second 6 volt battery between the two front seats. In 1966, when it go its factory rebuild, it was converted to 24 volts as it remains today.

So the models engine bay needed some reworking. Some parts were also not included in the original kit such as the fuel filter and voltage regulator. These two parts were made from small pieces of styrene and glued to the firewall. A second battery was made and fitted behind the first, and the air filter removed, the intake tube cut shorter and the filter refitted on the left side of the engine bay.

The second picture shows the parts painted, plus the missing distributor and ignition leads made. The leads were made from a single strand of copper wire from a piece of multi-strand electrical cable.

jeep_24.jpg

jeep_25.jpg

The text for the light board was cut out carefully with a sharp scalpel and attached to the styrene sign. The styrene parts had previously been glued to a very thin strip of 1mm wide nickle silver, the support for the sign.

jeep_21.jpg

Also seen in this picture is the strips of styrene glued to the bottom of the rear bumperettes, after the tops had been cut off. They are drying before trimming. This is because many Army Air Force Jeeps had the bumperettes mounted inverted. I've been told this was to lower its height, making it easier to use as a step into the Jeep when wearing flying kit.

jeep_23.jpg

The warning flag was made on the computer as both sides of the flag, mirror imaged. See first attachment. These were then folded around a thin wire pole and stuck to itself with double sided tape. The flag was then crumpled and partially straightened to give the impression of it blowing in the wind.

jeep_27.jpg

The bows were made from brass wire and the rest of the Follow Me sign support frame has now been made from more nickle silver strip. With that framework done, the flagpole has been glued at its lower end to the Jeep body work, and soldered to the framework.

jeep_22.jpg

jeep_29.jpg

The rest of the body work was painted, and once dry, the rear star, reflectors , lights and bumperettes were painted. The radio aerial has also been made from a length of copper wire. The axe and shovel were also repainted to match the real items. The Jeeps tyres are yet to be repainted.

jeep_31.jpg

jeep_30.jpg