FUEL - I am going to record it for a year

Jack

All the chat about fuel costs and how much it costs has got me thinking....

Do we really know that true cost of what ourt hobbyt costs us/year???

As R Cubed pointed out - everything else isn't so bad - spares, tax, insurance etc etc so are we really just focusing on the cost of fuel and not the bigger picture??

So here is what I am going to do. As from tomorrow 1st May, I will carry a journal in the GMC and record the fuel I put in and the miles travelled. I will do this until 31 December 2008.

I/we GMC owners will have a clearer picture of what we spend a year. We will then know if it is expensive or not - we can them moan..or not!

Anyone else want to join me? Maybe I should do a blog?

Best wishes.

Jack.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father did that for every car he ever owned - if you want to know the average mpg for a 1988 Vauxhall Astra 1.3 (his last car) drop me a line as he recorded every drop he put in the tank over the 11 years and 90,000 odd miles he owned that one. Similary its predecessors to whit an Austin Princess, a Triump Herald, a Triumph Dolomite and a Morris Minor going back to 1962.

Although I have carried on his tradition on my "normal" car, in MV terms I have never done it because as I once said to someone who asked me about my landie - if you want to know the mpg and running costs then you can't afford to own one. :evil::evil:

I do it with my truck which is mostly used for business these days ( sorry Mr Taxman - exclusively for business purposes these days) and the car but I tend not to bother with the toys for pretty much the same reasons as others have already said . Maybe if I managed to get out and about a bit more I might give it more serious thought .:undecided:

Hi Guys,

If we start recording fuel costs then by this time next year we'll be in tears and feeling suicidal. :shocked:

Regards,

John.

It'll be quicker that that and if the other half sees it well :nono::nono::nono:

Headlines for January 2009 (with due apologies in advance to Jack):

"Fearless leader of Historic Military Vehicle Forum found hanging"

J. Beckett esq. founder of the world remowned forum for historic military vehicles HMVF was today found hanging from the back of his GMC.

Distraught family members said he was last seen visibly upset having been looking at a notebook kept concealed in his GMC. Further investigation found the notebook to be a complete record of fuel purchases for the past year. A spokesman for the Dorset police said "I can understand why he did it having seen the entries in that book".

Mr Becketts sad demise has led to increased call for the Glorious Revolution to start in order to reduce UK fuel prices from their present high of £3.50/litre back to below £1/litre.

Apart from a GMC and a Jeep I also own a 1943 Piper Cub and a 1955 Druine Turbulent.

If I worked out how much It was to keep my toys and SWMBO found out! This is with the engineering on the aircraft costing only my time as I run a small aircraft engineering business.

Alan.

the demise of Jack it has been announced is somewhat premature. But the thought of the dancing girls turning up at the funeral in mini skirts fishnet stockings... high heeled leather boots...... Maybe he'd better watch his step for a bit.:sweat::sweat:

I set the trip odometer to zero when I got the Ferret and now I wish I had kept a record of how much juice has gone in over the year. Quite happy with the 500 odd miles so far, the number of smiles per mile is more important than the number of £££'s. Mind you, going up Bluebell hill or Detling hill near Maidstone must knock the average down a bit.

Hi Guys,

If we start recording fuel costs then by this time next year we'll be in tears and feeling suicidal. :shocked:

Regards,

John.

Think your right with THAT thought, John. :sweat:

I'm just glad bedford is my only vice;...........:cool2::cool2:,

:cry::cry: I have this mental picture of the dancing girls in black mini-skirts and fishnet stockings :sweat::sweat:

Regards,

John.

Well as long as they WERE girls,................don't want to make the same 'mistake', Ahem..........:cool2: as that footballer, t'other night.............:sweat::sweat:

Do tell!?

some footballer called Ronnaldo ?? thought he was onto a good thing, inviting three 'Ladies', back to his hotel room,........probably to play tiddlywinks or summat, :rofl:............only to find :cool2:they were of 'other gender',..............:sweat::sweat::shake:

Still think paul Hogan in Croc Dundee 1 had the right way of checking,........:whistle:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Don't care what it costs me in fuel, it's about the fun I have at shows!!!.

I think your right you cant put a price on the friendships you make.But the bigger truck people i think will be doing less,The survey allready shows more people doing less,its a great pity.