Austin k9 chassis number location

Anton, zil131

Question

Hi I've just purchased a Austin k9

Reg number usv615

I want to apply for new v5 but I'm struggling to find a chassis number 

I've checked on dvla website vehicle is a 1959  but wasn't registered till much later 1986

Just wanted to put has much info as possible on v5 application form to stop it bouncing bk to me

Based in Derbyshire 

Any help greatly appreciated 

Cheers anton 

IMG_20200713_183715.jpg

• Like 1

Anton, that is a correct Austin chassis number so is likely to be the number for your vehicle.

A K9 would normally carry a chassis number plate like that riveted onto the inside of the glove box lid and on the top of the drivers' side chassis rail near the steering box.

Ex-military vehicles should also have a square brass Ministry of Supply plate on the face of the LH chassis rail just behind the cab, which will give military VRN, Austin chassis number and other information.

Your K9 is already registered - you've given the registration - so if you have the information needed for the V62 getting a V5 should be straightforward; it's more if you need to register the vehicle that things get difficult.

1959 will be the date into [military] service, which would have been given to DVLA when it got the USV 615 registration. It's probably more like a 1955 truck.

Your K9 has the wrong back wheels on; it should have the same wheels as the front, but I guess you knew that.

Edited by Sean N

Today I have also found a i'd tag riveted to the inside of the glove box lid  says quote for spares a brass plaque  with 6 digits on but they are different to the chassis tag pictured before??? 

The plate is missing from left hand chassis rail although you can see where it once was

The rear axle looks narrower than normal   and the wheel track on rear is only slightly wider than front

It's also plated at 6000 kg. Not 4950 like most k9, s according to the dvla information held

Also confusingly  the original paintwork is orange everywhere underneath the camo green 

Chassis hubs cab everything orange??? 

Thanks for the info 

Cheers anton 

Cab is also or

Do any of the tags & plaque match, or are they all different? Photos?

Rear axle should be narrower than the front.

4950 kg is low for a K9, if I remember correctly GVW should be 6100 kg.

Is the orange really orange, or is it red oxide / brick red sort of colour as appears in your photo?

Hi Sean    

The tag inside the glove box lid is brass  will take pictures tomorrow 

Need to check o/s chassis rail near steering box like you said 

The k9, s are a new thing for me some of the data I've read gives gvw of 4950

But I suppose they where used quite widely and diversly so you may well be right with the over 6 tonne gvw

The orange is really orange like a b and q orange definitely not red oxide 

Cheers anton 

Anton, the tag in the glove box looks original so I'd believe that for the V62, at least in the first instance.

Wally, is that 10,192 lb gross you're quoting military use? I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure the plated gross weight VOSA used to give me was a touch of 6 tonnes, 6100 or 6200 kg.

When we discussed this in another thread, Richard quoted the 1956 FVRDE book as saying 4630 kg which agrees well with Wally's figure.

Edited by Sean N

Anton, Wally,

Out of interest, DVSA have confirmed the plated gross weights for the Austin K9. They are front axle weight 2040 kg, rear axle weight 4070 kg, for a plated gross weight of 6100 kg.

For future reference, I now have a scan of the DVSA Standard List covering Austin 2 axle rigids 1961 to 1960.

Sean

Edited by Sean N
Typo & add list ref.

It may have been someone's attempt to uprate, but more likely just a bodge. Odd that your revenue weight is actually 100 kg lower.

Incidentally, I've no evidence that twin rears were ever a factory option on K9s.

By the way, what size are the tyres on those twin rears? They look from the photo more 7.50 x 20. If they are not the same size as the fronts, it will wind up in four wheel drive on a metalled surface or hard dry earth; first symptoms on a K9 are difficulty changing gear, can't shift to 2wd, truck wants to turn left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean N said:

It may have been someone's attempt to uprate, but more likely just a bodge. Odd that your revenue weight is actually 100 kg lower.

Incidentally, I've no evidence that twin rears were ever a factory option on K9s.

By the way, what size are the tyres on those twin rears? They look from the photo more 7.50 x 20. If they are not the same size as the fronts, it will wind up in four wheel drive on a metalled surface or hard dry earth; first symptoms on a K9 are difficulty changing gear, can't shift to 2wd, truck wants to turn left.

i can vouch for above statement i put a set of twin wheels of a commer artic on mine believe 10.50 x20 rolling radius was roughly the same no problem with transmission wind up. but sheared n/s half shaft twice and wrecked diff once in a year. But that was probably due to some of the insane jobs we tried to do with it on recovery

Re orange. In the 70s I had some ex-MoD paint I was told was red lead primer. It was bright orange, and wonderful stuff. I did my Landrover chassis and bulkhead with it in 1980 and it is still there, and still bright orange where it shows thru the x layers of subsequent paint..

Hi guys thanks for the heads up about the wind up not sure what size rear wheels are  I would think 7.50 or 8.00

Definitely not 9,s

I have a twin boom mid 50,s Harvey frost crane to put in the back of truck want to build a period wrecker so want to keep the twin wheels on rear don't think I will cever need the four wheel drive anyway unless it's snow ploughing weather then it will probably cope with the wind up

Cheers anton