tankdiver

Austn Champ restoration

Some time ago I purchased an Austin Champ for spares. After a full inspection the floors,lower panels, arches were needing  a total reconstruction .The chassis was in good condition and the engine ran so I decided to repair  it as a last project , to take  2or 3 years. I am in the second year and have completed the  floors in  heavy 16 gauge  steel mad new body panels in 18  gauge steel rather than the thinner 20 gauge steel.  I have been surprised several times  on the condition of the mechanics  as the body was   extremely poor and the vehicle looked a dog.

The fuel tank was like new  suspension , steering etc were  good and easy  to restore only requiring rubber gaiters  The rear axle  I replaced the crown wheel and pinion with a  modern one having a better grade steel .

At present the underbody suspensions,  diffs,  steering , new brake shoe and cylinders have been done .  A new brake master  cylinder  and brake pipes are to be fitted then internal work electrics and body work to be completed. I will attach more picture and updates as it progresses 

DSCF3265.JPG

DSCF3269.JPG

DSCF3265.JPG

DSCF4952.JPG

DSCF4953.JPG

DSCF4951.JPG

DSCF4957.JPG

DSCF4958.JPG

DSCF4959.JPG

DSCF4960.JPG

• Like 5

Regardless of statements in House of Parliament  ,  IMHO  probably the greatest 4x4  of all time.

some more pictures of the build .The engine  and gearbox is now out ready to be overhauled and the engine bay is resprayed

DSCF3267.JPG

DSCF7413 (1).JPG

DSCF7423 (1).JPG

DSCF7424 (1).JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG