Tarland

REME Training Films - Scammells and transporters

A series of 3 Youtube videos (IWM film unit) detailing the Scammell wrecker and the assorted trailers used by REME circa 1942

Brilliant films, thank you for posting. I was amused by "the Scammells are coming" in the first one, I don't think I've ever seen a training film with a comedic commentary before. Also, the vehicle with the rear end on a trailer and front wheels on the road under tow was an eye-opener. Always good to get an understanding of bygone practices.

Steve.

I think there is a shorter version of the Scammell recovery of the Churchill with the Airborne REME crew also on YouTube. I remember seeing this at the REME Museum at Aborfield.

It was the two films with the various trailers that I thought would be off most use to the forum.

Thanks should really go to the poster on YouTube - I just came across them....

theres at least 3 films on there on the trailers and recovery of the Churchill sideways and a simple recovery of a Crusader.

Very nice videos and good quality!

Wonderful films, they made me want to rush out and buy a Scammell, but then I realised that finding keen, eager young chaps to crew it would be impossible, so I will have to keep looking for more REME training films like they used to show us Arborfield in the early 70s.

Great video! I wonder how they managed to get the loading ramps back onto the trailer after loading the D8, they looked awfully heavy when the four men were unloading them.

Regards

Marcel