CVRT throttle lock - stupid idea?

sexton

We have a few CVRTs at our museum. It has always struck me that the wing nut on the throttle linkage to lock the throttle open on cold starts etc. is a very bad idea. Unlike any other manual throttle control I have seen, it doesn't just raise the idle speed while still allowing normal throttle control, eg Jeep or Ferret, it completely locks the linkage. Seems like that is asking for trouble. I'm thinking of say someone using the lock, then just barely backing it off, then someone nudging the wing nut with a knee or whatever while driving and locking up the throttle. 

I understand that if the nut is backed off completely, that is unlikely to happen, but it concerns me enough, I think I will suggest that we get rid of the lock. Anyone else considered this or come up with a foolproof way to prevent this happening?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I wholeheartedly support your initial comments, as I thought the same.

However, I also agree with Chris, and once you know what the wingnut does you get accustomed to it, so ensure it is taught to all drivers.

I would honestly say that I would be more inclined to put a warning sign near or on the brake reservoirs warning about the use of brake fluid vs the specified fluid before I did anything with that wingnut, because once the wrong fluid has been introduced it is hard to recover without a ton of work and many vehicle operators think they are doing good by doing a first parade themselves without a check of what fluid is to be used.

Seen it 3 times now, I just shake my head.

I hear you on the brake fluid problem, Robin. But that's a potential mechanical damage issue. That throttle lock on the CVRT is a safety hazard. We have a lot of people here who want to drive and we have a training program for each vehicle but I worked in the nuclear power industry and we had it beaten into us that training is important but it CAN'T be relied upon to prevent mistakes. People mess up, get tired, careless, forget. Design is the way to minimize risk. Make it so people can't get it wrong. So remove the locknut. 

I'll go out on a limb and say that in the last 40 years, I'll bet this design has scared the shit out of someone. 

As you know, we end up with a few hundred of the public at our shows and about 20 volunteers driving, guiding, crewing, etc. We just have to be doing the nuclear thing and asking "what if?".

Malcolm

6 hours ago, sexton said:

I hear you on the brake fluid problem, Robin. But that's a potential mechanical damage issue. That throttle lock on the CVRT is a safety hazard. We have a lot of people here who want to drive and we have a training program for each vehicle but I worked in the nuclear power industry and we had it beaten into us that training is important but it CAN'T be relied upon to prevent mistakes. People mess up, get tired, careless, forget. Design is the way to minimize risk. Make it so people can't get it wrong. So remove the locknut. 

I'll go out on a limb and say that in the last 40 years, I'll bet this design has scared the shit out of someone. 

As you know, we end up with a few hundred of the public at our shows and about 20 volunteers driving, guiding, crewing, etc. We just have to be doing the nuclear thing and asking "what if?".

Malcolm

Malcolm,

The brake fluid issue of not using the correct mineral based fluid is not just a mechanical damage one, but a safety issue primarily as it can effect main or steering brakes, so should be treated with utmost importance. I was involved in repairs to these vehicles for a good many years for the British Army, so well aware of the consequences.

Also, never known of an issue with the throttle wing nut. If there had been any reported occurrences, an Instruction would have been issued.

• 4 years later...

Although Active Edge practised getting out of camp within four hours in the event of a sneak attack, Transition To War was anticipated to Last two to three weeks.

Having taken up General Deployment Plan positions in woods on high ground covering expected invasion routes, there was a long time to maintain radio contact (using ancient Larkspur radios. I did The last Larkspur RAC Control Signaller class 1 upgrade in 1978 ) with FHQ until 3 Shock Army turned up. Lost radio comms was a capital offence in a recce regiment.

Even though the radios ran (as I recall) from the turret batteries and shouldn't compromise starting (off the hull batteries), they needed to be kept charged. And as pointed out, there was the small matter of brews. You had to have the engine on whilst running the BV, running at 1,000rpm.

Not such an issue in Saracen or Sultan, which carried a 500W generator to power the radios.

I think it is good someone asking questions based on safety issues. Bearing in mind drivers using some vehicles are not used to driving them on a daily basis. That little phrase What If needs asking and answering a lot more. Stay Safe out there.