Jacksprat

Hi all, I applied for the B card (attached) from the RLC archive (at great expense!) and excitedly downloaded it, but haven't got a clue what it means!! Can anyone help me? I have recently fulfilled my ambition and bought a 1984 Land Rover, Series 3, SWB... Thank you in advance for any help I am really excited to learn more..

Military History 81KC72.pdf

Hi,

The first line is the Aschurch Vehicle depot where all incoming vehicles are receipted and inspected by the MOD when they are delivered. Not sure what the second line is, The third line looks like the struck off records line when the vehicle was disposed of.

Hope this helps.

CompOrdDepVeh  -  as Wally Dugan ,  has me ? just now.

S/O  =  struck off , sent to MVS (vehicle disposals of the S3 fleet)  @  Fradley Park (ex-WW2 airfield)  -  Lichfield.

You have a late CL  , so high level inertia seat-belts also dual-line brakes ,  The towing pack is just a NATO standard LR size pintle and electrical socket for trailer lead. Not quite as a Basic civvy 88" ,  c/w rear seats , HD rear springs and IIRC HD shocks all round,  de-luxe bonnet and a few other extras such as hasp on fuel filler cap..  I have a earlier one and the later ones may be slightly different on the Optional Extras.  The very last  --KD-- had other differences, in main used by US forces , security on nominal RAF bases.

Dear all thank you very much for your help. 

Ruxy - Mine is a late series 3 and it does have high level inertia seat belts and dual line brakes, I don't have a towing pack as at some point has had a rear 3/4 chassis so was probably lost or sold then. It has the de-luxe bonnet I am not sure what you mean by hasp on filler cap?

3 hours ago, Jacksprat said:

Dear all thank you very much for your help. 

Ruxy - Mine is a late series 3 and it does have high level inertia seat belts and dual line brakes, I don't have a towing pack as at some point has had a rear 3/4 chassis so was probably lost or sold then. It has the de-luxe bonnet I am not sure what you mean by hasp on filler cap?

Other  "Options"  :-

Bonnet lock hasp

Pedal rubbers on brake & Clutch  (not throttle)

Ammeter

Aux. switch panel at centre of plastic dash.

------

I think you should have chamois leather swivel housing gaiters on your chrome balls.

With having dual-brakes , then the front are 11" dia. drums not 10"

I think you will have front towing D rings.

You may have sun-visors.

You may have front bumperettes , probably not Solihull fitted (I don't think your front bumper was pre-drilled).  Some were drilled for unit fit.

I have a note about red reflex reflectors ,  IIRC mine are on rear panels but earlier still they were at ends of rear chassis tow-member.

=======================

Not optional - std. with 11" drums and dual-brakes (Supervac assisted) , your axles will be 'Rationalized type) ,  a bit more complex and such as hub parts, seals , bearings , more £ expensive , stub alxles very expensive as no transition fitted seal runner.

Edited by ruxy

ps

btw  ,  pity you went direct to  the RLC at Deepcut.  I know sometimes much is missing from records.  In fact I know of a  --KB--  Lightweight (abt. same age) much was missing.  The owner did another history search using  FMW  (actually I understand a bloke named Fletcher). He managed to turn out the lot inc. the 'hiden-history'  .  I received a copy for perusal & to file ,  ISTR  18 A4 pages worth inc. all he previously obtained from the RLC Museum.  Much was 'generic' military info. but good if not already a Ex-MOD Landie owner.  FMW seems to have a bit extra ability and a few £ cheaper  LoL   I don't know Fletcher , I understand he is Geof. Fletcher who was co-author of a good Ex-MOD 'Series' LR book abt. 3 years ago - worth having - abt.  £18  ,   worth having as a set of spark-plugs and 1 gall of a good engine oil will cost you more..

Ruxy, thank you very much for your incredible help.

My land rover does have:

Bonnet lock hasp, 

Aux. switch panel at centre of plastic dash

Towing D Rings

Reflectors are on the body panels and have been carelessly half painted over by IRR paint!

It doesn't have: 

Ammeter, where would that be? 

Chamois leather swivel housing gaiters (although they may have been taken off by a previous owner I suppose)

Sun visors

Front Bumperettes

Thank you for the information about the axles I will need to do some research on this 

17 hours ago, ruxy said:

ps

btw  ,  pity you went direct to  the RLC at Deepcut.  I know sometimes much is missing from records.  In fact I know of a  --KB--  Lightweight (abt. same age) much was missing.  The owner did another history search using  FMW  (actually I understand a bloke named Fletcher). He managed to turn out the lot inc. the 'hiden-history'  .  I received a copy for perusal & to file ,  ISTR  18 A4 pages worth inc. all he previously obtained from the RLC Museum.  Much was 'generic' military info. but good if not already a Ex-MOD Landie owner.  FMW seems to have a bit extra ability and a few £ cheaper  LoL   I don't know Fletcher , I understand he is Geof. Fletcher who was co-author of a good Ex-MOD 'Series' LR book abt. 3 years ago - worth having - abt.  £18  ,   worth having as a set of spark-plugs and 1 gall of a good engine oil will cost you more..

Thanks for this I am going to drop him an email now here it is in case anyone else wants it freemil@btinternet.com

38 minutes ago, Jacksprat said:

Coincidentally I also received a reply from my FOI request (the email for this if anyone is searching for it is cio-foi@mod.uk) The response is attached. Does this mean that it went to Hong Kong with the Gurkhas?

FOI.pdf

Yes, most certainly went to Hong Kong ,  the 'Lowland' should be easy for some - I would be guessing a Scottish Regiment below Edinburgh / Glasgow but will be wrong on that.  I think 'Lowland' is more a term used after the amalgamation of famous regiments - a bit like 'rifles'. Some people take a interest and are expert, know all the UIN and how / when thechoose files... Click to choosey can change.  I only know the more basic abbr. etc.  - more interested in the hardware than the software  LoL

52 minutes ago, Jacksprat said:

Well done for remembering this!!

Yes,  with such a grand title - you would think you see it lots , not the case , never managed to work out the actual location on the map. In a way it sounds a bit like it is a 'material pool' on the ranges in Canada - but that would have shown on the FOI reply.

59 minutes ago, Jacksprat said:

Ruxy, thank you very much for your incredible help.

My land rover does have:

Bonnet lock hasp, 

Aux. switch panel at centre of plastic dash

Towing D Rings

Reflectors are on the body panels and have been carelessly half painted over by IRR paint!

It doesn't have: 

Ammeter, where would that be? 

Chamois leather swivel housing gaiters (although they may have been taken off by a previous owner I suppose)

Sun visors

Front Bumperettes

Thank you for the information about the axles I will need to do some research on this 

Your aux. panel will be slightly different to mine because - it should have the BRAKE test switch or more probably just a small oblong panel as auto. test on ignition, similar panel - should have IIRC for FOG GUARD.

The ammeter would be in the centre of the plastic lower dash , there will be a pressed indent, that in the civvy world was cut out to fit a car radio. You may have a 2" hole  !    Possibly your later truck was fitted with a heavier capacity Lucas ACR alternator.  

You should be able with your late CL to neglect use of the Optional Parts Catalogue for electrical , as such yours will be 'time-line' as built - I would have to check by sifting the pages of  Parts Catalogue - Part No.  RTC9841 CE   JUNE 1988.

Just looked at the log book for my  CL ,   07GN11  Shortly after I obtained from  CMA  site @ Maltby near Stockton , I worked through the front axle changing seals, I am certain the balls are fitted with gaiters, no note of me fitting new - so I would just have rubbed Vaseline in and re-fitted them.

I am almost certain mine has sun visors , they could have been fitted locally.

Quite certain mine did not have front bumperettes , some did so probably fitted locally.

=========

The Gurkhas did use lots of Lightweights , so your CL may have been as often used -  around Catterick ,  always one outside the cop-shop , I think the last was a KC or KD , it has Serck pressed 'Security Plates'  (as some late S3 did).  There were always a few on 'driver-training' run , the common one to a cafe at West Auckland, (in later years ISTR these were not on the classic MOD reg. plates , Serck type used).

Mine was Ex-TA  RMP (Stockton) , check the galve. screen at passenger side , normally drilled 2 holes for fitting a angle short strut for blue lamp.  You can pick up at relatively low cost aluminium MILITARY POLICE plates.  As a show vehicle , something like a PYE Cambridge radio and that is about it - nothing top $

Round silver button  ,  give me a clue - where should I be looking    ? 

I see you do have the small oblong warning panels for  BRAKE CHECK  +  FOG GUARD.

Looks OK , you will have to look after it , you don't see many S3 at all on road now, late (upgraded)  88"  always were rare ,  so a late S3 Ex-MOD is ever rarer !

I have taken some pics of pics (14/2/1984) - so it was 5yrs-1month old - the day I purchased.  I will have to get son to upload them on SlickPick later. You can't check for chrome-ball gaiters & I don't think you can see sun-visors ,  but you can't see them on L'wt  19FM65  (on same pic) & I defo. fitted them early 1980 soon after I obtained it from Ruddington.

Strange they dropped the ammeter from spec.

Edited by ruxy

btw.      One thing I forgot to mention.   The Lightweight hood  was  'standardized'  -  the 12 volt  vehicles  new at Solihull  received a FFR hood  (extra side details for antenna mounts  sliders/cables).    The  88"   CL  was factory fitted with a civvy basic hood , so stitched on above the fuel filler cap was a black PVC oblong patch  abt.  10" x 6".   This was to protect the canvas against the filler nozzle -  probably more important if diesel than petrol.