Vintage Vehicle Enthusiast Crushed

cordenj

I spent 3 months in bed last year after being crushed between two vehicles.

It was my fault and I was lucky to escape with 3 fractures in my Pelvis and a broken Tailbone.

The Doctors said straight up I should be dead!

We all work on heavy lumps of metal that can kill us in the blink of an eye and we all need to look at the potential consequences of any action we take under/over and around our toys.

Familiarity breads contempt and that is the quick way to get hurt or worse.

It could be another 6 months before I'm fully recovered and can go back to playing with my toys without being in pain.

If I work under my normal car I allways augment the jack by putting something extra under the wheels which gives enough room if the jack gives way.

Also keep it in gear and pull the handbrake.

But a mistake is made very easy.

It's part of my job to write Safe Systems of Work (SSOWs) for my HGV fitters at work, I haven't written any for my hobby but follow the same procedures to keep safe - I've seen the effects of unsafe working and would rather the job take longer but be safe

Unfortunately some people only see Health and Safety "at Work" Home or hobby is in a different light.

I've never worked on anything approaching the weight of an AFV, but at some point, say more 5 tons, do metal jack-stands even make sense?

Seems to me like heavy wood cribbing in a cross -stacked configuration is the way to go. I mean if you look at ocean going vessels in dry docs it's what they do there.

My own Dad was nearly killed when his old Merc fell off its jack when he was under it. Luckily for him he put some blocks under it too, so he was able to push it up on its suspension and crawl out. How he never got any broken ribs I do not know. He taught me to use axle stands in such circumstances.

I am a Forklift Tech for a living.

Last year we had a tech under a Tennant scrubber. He had pulled the drive tire off, when it fell off the jacks and fractured his skull. Which actually is what saved his live. With the bone broke, as his brain swelled, it had somewhere to go to relieve pressure. They said if the bone did not break, he would have died......