6v hard rubber motorcycle battery replacement..

I have a triumph 3sweet fitted with a traditional 6v wet cell hard rubber battery ....the battery came with the bike and I successfully rejuvenated the battery 2 years ago by charging and discharging but I now have heavy qualification on the terminals and my old strategy had little impact..

Questions

1 any alternative suggestions to rejuvenate the battery...

2 has anyone removed the guts and used the case for a modern battery....

3 or time for a new battery ...any recommendations for an authentic looking battery..

Suppliers ..stockists..

Regards

Jenkinov

1: any alternative suggestions to rejuvenate the battery.

Optimate type battery conditioners are the best way to try to recover batteries. They do charge, drain and recharge cycles, testing along the way.

They can't work miracles though, and not all of them are suitable for 6V batteries.

2: has anyone removed the guts and used the case for a modern battery....

Yes. I did this with an old Vespa battery. Flushed it out, then removed the guts and fitted a modern 6V Gel battery inside (possibly from an alarm or something similar). As the space was limited, I could only fit a slightly lower Ah one inside, but as it was only used for parking lights and the horn it wasn't a problem. Might not work if a bike has electric start and needs full power though.

3 or time for a new battery ...any recommendations for an authentic looking battery..

Quite a few places do nice repros of the old rubber batteries now (but they aren't cheap), or modern alternatives.

Have you got the battery code or part number?

I'd suggest going for Gel (if available), they seem to be a bit more rugged and longer lasting than most modern batteries.

Edited by Johnny

The Feked price for a dummy case with hidden battery is very good.

If you're WD rivet-counting, Ian Wright who posts on the WM20 forum can supply moulded replica WD Lucas PU7 battery cases with either a 1940 or 1944 date.

For those doing pre-or very early war, a French chap appeared in Normandy with some very good replica WD Ni-Fe cases. They aren't cheap though. Henk Joore on the M20 forum has contact details.